RE: Tammy Fletcher covers The Who

>Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:40:16 -0500
>From: "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org>
>
>		I'm just sittin' there a gabbin' away with friends and
>nursing a micro brew (was planning on boarding the next morning), when all
>of a sudden the sound of Keith's wooden sticks (used to know the official
>orchestra name for them)

claves

in that undeniable tempo pierced all other sounds.
>My expression alerted my crew that I had heard something of interest.  All
>conversation came to a grinding halt.  Then, almost in unison, all their
>eyes rolled and everyone smiled as I sprang to my feet.

I told the story at the time, but I'll repeat it...a few years ago I went
to an all-day July 4 concert, which finished off with The Smithereens and
Melissa Etheridge.  I got there just before The Smithereens' set.  Most of
the audience had been there all day in Texas summer sun with no shade, and
were drunk, stoned (or both), sunburned, and tired, and were sitting in
their beach chairs or lying on the ground. Unbeknownst to me at the time,
"Substitute" was in the Smithereen's repertoire, and when those opening
chords ripped out of nowhere, I started screaming like a madman, trying to
communicate to the band that there was at least one audience member who
STRONGLY approved of their choice.  The tallest thing I could find to stand
on was a 4"-diameter piece of PVC pipe lying on the ground, so I stood on
it and screamed and roared joyfully.  The apathetic burned-up crowd around
me watched the spectacle but weren't inclined to "join together" with me or
the band.  Their loss, say I.  Kevin, ya shoulda been there :-).

Cheers,

Alan

Alan
"It's not like bein' possessed or anything...it's just...*I* *do* *my* *job*."
   --Pete Townshend