Page denies tour with Who

Thursday, March 2, 2000

Page denies tour with Who

     By PAUL CANTIN
Senior Reporter, JAM! Showbiz

  Reports of a blockbuster summer tour featuring
Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page with The
Black Crowes and the reformed Who are greatly
exaggerated, Page says.

The reclusive guitarist told JAM! he was upset by
reports in trade publications stating that the
tandem tour was likely.

"You know, there has been a vicious, nasty rumor
going around that I'm going to be supporting The
Who or opening for The Who, which there could
be nothing further form the truth. Believe me,"
Page said Thursday from New York.

Page and the Crowes recently released, via the
online music site Musicmaker.com, a joint live
album recorded at Los Angeles' Greek Theatre,
and the guitarist said there has been some very
preliminary discussions about reuniting with the
band for some summer dates. But any talk of a
tour with The Who is just speculation.

"To be honest with you, the only way to describe
it is someone has made a meal out of a snack, do
you know what I mean? And unfortunately, the
main culprit is Billboard," Page said, referring to
the music-industry trade paper which originated
the story.

"Let's put it this way: There was discussions to
continue a six-date wee, wee mini-condensed
tour (with the Black Crowes) and take that just a
little further. There's discussions, you know. But
nothing has been finalized yet.

"Never mind about The Who and all the rest of it.
The most imnportant thing is there has been
overtures to do some more dates. I had such a
wonderful time playing with the Black Crowes.
That, I think, would be a lot of fun."

He also poured water on reports that he would
be heading into the studio with the Crowes to
record original material.

"Was that in Billboard as well? What was being
said (to reporters) was there is a lot of
possibilities, so many things we could do, and if
we did any of them or none of them or all of
them," Page said.

"It's just lots of different options. But let's put it
this way: The bottom line is it would be nice to do
something together. There's all time scales,
everyone has got their own schedule. Nobody
wants to pre-empt what the conclusion could be."

Although he sounded disappointed by the
rampant rumors, he conceded that it
demonstrates people are still intensely interested
in his work.

"I guess so. You are right about that. I shouldn't
be that upset. As you say, they wouldn't show
any interest at all if they didn't care."

--
http://www.petetownshend.net