Who crap; Who gathering; Who Metal; Who Punk; Who's opening

> wasn't my post.  Although very biased toward The Who, there actually are
> some things they have done that I'm not into.  Few, but some.

Kevin:

Sorry to misdirect, but IMHO The Who has less crap than any other band.
Sorry for the delay, but my home computer went the way of the buffalo and
it's been slamming here at the store.

> Skelter to try and one up "I Can See For Miles"...I don't think he did,
but
> that's just me.

Jon:

That's the story.

> (O'Neal, Kevin W.) You're right, maybe I was a bit hasty.  ;-)

Kevin:

My pal.

> Have you guys kissed and made up yet?? ;-)

No, like you have never spanked a guy I've never kissed a guy in my life.
It's not my bag, baby.

> Like me. :-) I can't think of any song I'd rather not hear live or any
song
> I don't like on any album/bootleg (but I do have preferences).

Bjorn:

I can understand (what I call) going into a "Who Phase," where you'd rather
listen to The Who other than anything else, but I cannot understand not
wanting to hear anything else.

> available at the various venues.  I notice that changing the
> description of what you want (say from "best available" to "floor")
> produces a radically different offer, as well.

LB:

Well, I guess I got screwed but like I said, I've seen the band enough to
just be happy to be there and meet the other list members.

> Well, there ya go.  First, I'm not sure Pete wrote "My Generation" in his
"early
> teens"

Scott:

I'm sure, he didn't.

> He's wrong of course but what can you do?

Brian:

Get the bootleg, of course. TLAL is the best live Tommy I've heard, and as
far as I know the only bootlegged performance of Sally Simpson from that
period.

>From what I've heard, Leeds is much better than IOW Tommy.

Jon:

You've heard right. IOW doesn't have as good sound quality as the bootleg.

> always thought that the first heavy metal song was The Kinks' "You
> Really Got Me," due to Dave Davies' distorted guitar sound.

Jim:

There was an element of Metal in some Kinks, but later in their career.
YRGM is the Punk sound more than anything else, although I'll still give
the first Punk song to The Who (AAA) because YRGM was a fairly standard
love song. AAA definitely has the Punk attitude. MG was definitely the
heaviest song at that point. Out In The Street was also damned Heavy, for
1965.

> And of course the incredible LAL.

Derick:

Certainly as heavy as the first Black Sabbath album, which came out the
same year. ICSFM would also be considered root Metal, I would think, and
any of the live songs by 1967 too.

> Is Reggie's (CNN Center) anywhere near the actual concert venue ?

My question too, because I will definitely be there and hoped to see you
again, and Brian, Bruce, Keets, and (hopefully) lots more list members. For
me, at least, the gathering is easily as much fun as the concert, and
despite the 6 hour drive I'm going to make a genuine effort to get there
ASAP in order to have as much of it as possible. Brian, you've GOT to be
there...you're the one person on the list most members want to meet, you
know.

> My opinion is that the MG album (especially the title song) is the
> predecessor of punk rock. I don't think it sounds like metal (70's or
> 80's). Don't you think it's more on the punk style?

Lucas:

Yes, but I break it down this way: musically it was root Metal, while a
good bit of the content was Punk. YRGM is definitely closer to Punk Rock
musically, but what's more Punk than "Hope I die before I get old"?
I give The Who credit for both Punk and Metal. So who here is surprised to
hear that?

> Well, I think this song (Melancholia) is much darker then most songs
> done by Cream. And less bluesy, too.

Politician is pretty dark, but of course Cream is more Bluesy than The Who.
I was spending a moment in "What If" land...what if The Who had released
Melancholia as a single (I think it's obvious it was recorded to be
released as a single; note the standard "Who" chaotic ending.

> First, don't drive!!!  Atlanta used to be a nice place, but now the
> combination of gigantic Ford and GM gas-guzzling road hogs, ignorant
SOB's

Brian:

Are you sure you're not talking about Myrtle Beach?
Atlanta IS pretty bad, but I will be driving.

On a completely different note, it was announced today that Stone Temple
Pilots will be opening their tour right here in sunny Myrtle Beach at the
HOB...I hope I can get tickets! They, I think, would be an excellent
opening band for The Who.

          Cheers                             ML