Irvine Meadows Show -- 8/16

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 00:11:03 EDT
From: Ballou1@aol.com
Subject: Irvine Meadows Show -- 8/16

I posted last week regarding my experience buying Shoreline tickets for 8/21.  I had a similar experience today with the Irvine Meadows tix.   I was on the phone and on line at 9:45 a.m. in anticipation of a 10:00 a.m. sale.   I got someone on the phone prior to the website becoming active.   I immediately
asked for 2 tix in the highest price category -- $146.   The best I could get were two seats in Loge 4, Row FF -- $81.51.   In light of the LA Times expose on SFX/Irvine Meadows this week, I was not surprised at this outcome.

I've never been to Irvine Meadows (now called Verizon Wireless).  As with Shoreline, I'd like to hear from anyone who knows the venue.  Are my seats crap?
------------------------------
You probably should have stuck with the Internet.

Like you, I had logged on in advance of the 10:00 AM sale, and when it got to about 9:57 or so, I started to hit the "Reload" button every 10-15 seconds.  (If you don't have it, it helps to have one of the Utility programs that updates the System Clock by connecting to an Atomic Clock--BTW, the Ticketmaster clock was about 15 sec. slow.)

I got into the Ticketmaster site right at 10:00 without any problems, and by 10:02, I was about $160.00 poorer, after buying my Orchestra seat (the $146.50 ones) in the 8th row center.  This is some 16 rows and a ramp in front of the now infamous "Broker Seats" that were the subject of last Thursday's LA TIMES article.

That being said, has anyone heard anything definitive about when the San Diego show is going on sale?  It appears that for this show, we will not have to deal with Ticketmaster, as ETM (http://www.etm.com/) has the account for the San Diego Arena. This actually may be good, as from my limited experience with ETM, you can go to one of their remote machines (like an ATM) push a couple of buttons, and you are done!

And now, for the cute Who story of the week.

The other day, I was driving to a baseball game with my 7 year old son.  Normally . . . ok . . . almost always when he is in the car, I have to be subjected to Radio Disney (and now . . . for the 12th time this hour . . . Lou Fricking Bega and the Disney Version of G__Dammed Mambo #5!!!!).  By some miracle, I had in the Lifehouse Elements CD and was listening to the Gateway remix of WRU.

This is not normally a song I would play in the car with my son around (or at least in the orignal version) because of the dropping of the "F-Bomb" in the lyrics.  But what do I hear (or what is left of my hearing)?  A little voice singing "Who Are You.  Who Who Who Who."  I ask him, "Where do you know that song from?," thinking that he must have heard one of the many Gateway ads over the last year or so.  He said, "I remember it from that concert we went to," meaning The Bridge Concert last October.  "The Whose (sic.) sang it.  I remember that song.  The Whose are a bunch of old guys, but I liked them.  But I like this one (meaning the Gateway remix) better.  It sounds new."

I had to explain to my son that the person singing on the CD was same balding gentleman he saw some seven months ago.  He was pretty impressed.

Then a couple of minutes later he says in his version of a little girl's voice, "What's for tea, mother?"  I turn puzzled saying to myself, "Did I hear what I thought I heard?"  Then I hear, "What's for tea, darling?"  And THEN . . .in his best (or the best a 7 year old can do) JAE voice of doom he said "What's for tea, daughter?"!!!!  I asked him how he knew THAT song?  He said that I had played it when we went to The Bridge Concert, which was correct!  He then wanted to hear it.  Fortunately, I had SELL OUT in the car.

And so . . . we had to listen to Heinz Baked Beans about a half dozen times in a row!  Much better than Radio Disney any day of the week!!!

BW Radley
bw@bwradley.org