Helter Skelter

I'm sorry, I thought this was a Who list, but I'm beginning to think
this is actually a dirty political back stabbing board. PLEASE KEEP IT
OFF AND STICK TO THE WHO!

> Someone cited "Helter Skelter" from the
> Beatles, which, as in modern heavy metal, had similar use of power
> chords, square drum lines and linear guitar riffs (different from the
> bluesy riffs which sometimes appeared in 70's heavy metal). In fact, the
> song can be cited as one of the first ones to show important
> characteristics of modern heavy metal (and it's probably the heaviest
> song of its time, i.e. mid-60's).

I remember hearing a story that the reason McCartney wrote Helter
Skelter was because the Who had put out a single (ICSFM??) that critics
were calling the "heaviest" rock song (or something to that effect), so
Macca was jealous and wanted the Beatles to record something that was
"heavier". -

23 Days until Great Woods!

- Kath