Re: Origins of heavy metal/Melancholia

I don't know about what was first, but I think you're right about the
influence.  This sounds like a mixture of heavy metal bass lines to me.  The
first part of it is 70ish, and the quick part at the end more 80ish--is that
what you're calling the galloping bass?  What Pete's doing right there at
the end sounds very 80ish, too.  Add Kenney Jones and you're got a big part
of the Who early 80's sound which I've thought heavily influenced the speed
metal bands.

BTW, has anybody watched JAE's Hot Licks video?  He does some of the
standard 80's style heavy metal bass and gives some advice for making it
less boring.

keets