Re: A short Napster (thought)

> >Ever heard of any of them?
> >
> >It's good for a new artist in the short run, bad in the long run. I wish
> >people would look beyond the moment....short-sightedness is what's wrong
> >with this country!
>
> Not yet.  It's just the first indication of their business plan--that they
> intend to replace the music labels.  The best defense is always a good
> offense, you know.  ;)
>
> All MP3 has to do is sign a couple or three disgruntled major artists and
> they're in business.

I don't know about disgruntled, but I hold in my possesion, one of MP3.com's
103 of the best songs you never heard.  On it, is a 60's icon by the name of
Roger McGuinn.  For those of you who don't know, he is the leader, vocalist,
and 12 string guitar player of the Byrds (Mr. Tambourine Man, Feel A Whole
Lot Better, Turn Turn Turn) and later with Tom Petty (King of the Hill)(Tom
P is a fan of him, covering Feel a Whole Lot Better).  He does a 12
string-slide blues number on it.  Don't know if he has more out there, but I
suspect that if Byrds fans don't know, they might like to see what he is up
to...

I think that in some way or another, don't underestimate MP3.COM.  I have
already liked alot of what I hear, and there are lots of songs out there for
any number of styles, some of which SHOULD have been on major labels to be
heard, but either prefer or can't.  The music is still good, and I wish them
all well...

Greg A.