Re: JOnes Beach

Vinman wrote:
>Does anyone know why he did it? Maybe it was because Jones Beach was his =
>favorite venue (which he mentioned during the show). Or maybe he did it =
>because of all the faithful who sat through the rain and nasty winds.

I wrote about it on the coolboard. Here's a repost:

OK; now for the psychological part... Why did he smash his strat? I was
                         looking at Pete (unfortunatly, I was on 24th row
or something like that, and I
                         wasn't up higher than the guys on the front row,
so I didn't see the guitar hit
                         the monitor, I just saw it swinging above Pete's
head; heading down and at the
                         end fly to pieces)... Now; he smashed it 4 or 5
times sideways on the monitor and smacked it on
                         the floor with the flat back end for the last time...

                         OK... Why did he do that? I think he had it
planned... I don't believe the rain (the
                         few drops that came down) resulted in the
smashing. As Magik said; Pete did it
                         before, exactly the same. And maybe he felt
obliged; but mostly; maybe he just
                         WANTED to smash the guitar! Out of pure joy! Hey,
why not; this is the last
                         show of the leg, it's a nice place to do it...
                         I was looking into Pete's eyes when he smashed his
strat; and it was just
                         strange. It was like I didn't realise it... Pete
was just gazing into the audience. It
                         was strange...
                         The difference to SBE; Pete smashed his guitar
there out of frustration and
                         because he was mad as hell! That's also why out of
all the times I saw Pete
                         smashing his guitars (hahaha!), I loved the SBE
smash. It was pure. Pure
                         agression. The last one was more out of
"entertainment" (nothing wrong with
                         that though!).

                         Damnit, I start to sound like a fart that says:
"oh well, I've seen him do that
                         better"...
                         Let me tell you this; I love EVERY move Pete makes
on stage. His jumping,
                         windmilling and birdmans; that's what gives me a
kick. That smash was another
                         amazement.

                         Ushers at JB where very strict. After the show I
managed to sneak up to the
                         front row and beg for some pieces that where lying
there. I got 2 of them. I believe that
                         small long white thing I have is a piece that
belongs under the fretboard...

                         Anyway, he still has 3 (red???) strats left. Maybe
he'll smash one at every end of
                         the tour...

cheers,

Bjorn Ciggaar