PNC Bank Show

I wanted to  tell about my night and how I enjoyed the show last night and the Arts Center in NJ.

I was looking forward to this for a while, I know it's only greatest hits, but still, what band
doesn't portray it's
greatest hits.   I also looked forward to the first time that I would see Pete Townshend play what I
will call
- pure electric frenzy guitar work, not just 1/2 an effort, or a mixed with accoustic set.

I must admit, I was throroughly thrilled to see how a man close to 56 (?) could play like he was
still in his 20's.
To see him prance towards the stage with the , excuse me, but Eddie Vanhalen grimace on his face
made me
feel that maybe we don't get old even in our 50's.   I am not in my 50's nor close to it, so if any
readers have
a fault with my thoughts on 50 somethings and energy, Im just talking from my mind, and not fact, so
please
think what you thought of your age at 35.  Just an impression. I didn't really exprect to see him do
any scissor
kicks either, but sometimes I think Pete does what Pete likes, and not because we like it.
Anyhoo.........

I hate to give away set lists, I hate to spoil anyones fun on the next show, so I won't really
mention titles, I mean,
you can expect the obvious, but there were some there that I always wanted to hear live  from the
early 70's
and from what I read, either were never played live, or haven't in 30 years.

The sound system was dynamic, Roger sounded like Roger.  A couple drops here and there, but what do
expect
from someone singing and ripping out rock and  roll all night. I don't think it would be perfect
without Roger
hitting a pebble here or there.  John was right on key, as far as I could tell.  Indeed the quiet
one, he  stood his
post and supported as per his whole career.

Zak - I like him. He's got his own flambouyant ways. You might want to compare him to the other Who
drummer
Simon Phillips, in terms of style and range, but no where like Jones in his time keeper role. I like
Zak, and I think
the band likes Zak.He looks like he likes being there, like a little 'psycho' with that straigh
ahead stare and flaring
beat. A tireless effort.  I give a strong thumbs up for Zak and I felt that way with Quadrophenia.
Hopefully he will
be in the studio, God willing, if they decide to do something.

If Pete were to take one show and decide that the audience frenzied reaction was enough to boast
another step
into the studio and give something to his fans, the PNC fans were excellent. A packed house,  not a
seat to be
found. I would imagine that they know this is the "NYC area" and I am proud to be a part of the
country that
really takes the band in for it's classic sound.  I turned to person next to me and noted that the
opening band
"Unamerican" seemed to play the same song over and over. There is something about the 90's sound
that is
bland in some bands. I think the Who's magic is definitley the difference in almost all songs, not
that same
repeating timekeeping beat.....thank God I can appreciate the music I do.

The crowd was definitley mixed. Alot of people in their 30's and up were the majority. Lots of gray
hair and
ponytails. Lots of parents even brought there 7 or 8 year olds. This was cool. I even had a couple
of kids
in front of me that looked like 14 year olds.  I was wondering what they thought. This wasn't Third
Eye
Blind or the Chili Peppers, but a bunch of guys old enough to have been their grandfathers.  I liked
the
fact that their were teeny boppers there. I've often thought that the younger generation didn't
appreciate
'old dinasour' music, what with the limited classic rock stations and airplay these days.  Was nice
to see.

However, in every good crowd, there are some bad seeds.   I always seem to be lucky enough to get
the
5 guys in front of me who decide that 10 beers and windmills on top of the seats and pushing each
other
and shoving, and getting in the way with no respect to the people around them are the rule. I've
gone to
shows buzzed up in my concert life. Ive indulged in things that may be cool to some and may be
against
some peoples morals, but I always tried to respect the people around me, for I knew they paid money
and anticipated the shows just as I had.  A mean streak really wanted to come out of me last night,
for
I saw guys who just never grew up. Guys who are still having beers on a Friday night out with Moms
car. What happened to respect for people? Why is every concert full of zip heads that don't give a
shit
whether you see Pete do a long electric solo, or whether you look at their FAT ASSES all night and
let YOU KNOW that they know the words "DON"T CRY DONT RAISE YOUR EYE". Is this what
it's come down to?  We get tanked cause we wanna see Pete smash one and sing "TEENAGE WASTELAND"?
I just can't hack it sometimes, and to be distracted at some points really made me wish that concert
seating
was like a movie theater and you could easily move to another row. But no, there you are, stuck with
the
assholes who "paid my money man, fuck you" attitude.  Makes me wish either they didn;'t ALLOW the
bottles of beer (When did THIS SHIT start???)  into the amphitheater, or that I took more interest
in
getting my black belt.  Some people really need to have their asses kicked.

But, all in all, the show was good, they sounded great, and you won't be wasting your time or money.

Have a great show, they are worth the money and time.

Regards,
drjimmy.