RE: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #24

>>speaking of misheard lyrics - one i've wondered about the context is in
You
>>Better You Bet
>>is the line
>>"..to the sound of old T-Rex and "Who's Next" "
>>or is it
>>"..to the sound of old T-Rex and who's next?"
>>
>>is it the album mentioned or just a question...?

>I always took it as an explicit reference to the album, an in-reference for
>fans.

>>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:54:09 -0800
>>From: Dan Duffy <dduffy@pgexch.com>
>>Subject: RE: Misheard lyrics
>>
>>I have always taken the lyric in the latter context, "who's next".  Here's
>>why.  The next major rock star to die after Marc Bolan (if memory serves)
>>was Keith, 51 weeks later.

>I couldn't tell you when Bolan died, but if it was 51 weeks before Keith's
>death in '78, your theory doesn't hold as the song was written in the late
>'60s.

Cool, On top of everything else Townshend is a psychic.  You say above you
think the reference is to the album "Who's Next".  If the song was written
in the late '60's, as you state, then Townshend already knew he was going to
name a record "Who's Next" ?, neat.  In addition, he wrote a reference in
the late 60's to a group that didn't even exist yet. Prior to mid-1970 T.
Rex was "Tyranasaurous Rex", and in the late 60's they were known as "John's
Children" (and were one of the first bands signed to Track records. They
also opened for the Who during this time. This may further explain Pete's
feelings when he wrote the lyric). Not only that, he refers to them as "old
T. Rex".  The lyric is also quoted incorrectly.  I don't believe that there
is an "and" between "T. Rex" and "who's next"