Re: Lifehouse, Phases, covers, Who imitations, etc.

>Today I got in the mail from England the script to "Lifehouse" (1999) along
>with the BBC cassettes.  If you want them go to www.amazon.co.uk.  They do
>ship direct to the U.S.
>
>Of the two, I'd say the script, not the tapes, are the necessary item. And
>>although you will get a copy of the audio version in both the Lifehouse
>Method and Lifehouse Chronicles CD's, you won't get the book of the script.

Brian,

Thanks for the news about this script and for all the news from Matt Kent!

>By the way, how many people out there have the nine LP box set PHASES from
>Germany?  And if you do, about how much did you pay for it?  I got mine in
>NYC in the late 80's & paid $90.00.  Just curious.

Schrade,

I got Phases new in the mid '80s (Does anyone remember a mail order company
called Blue Angel? I got an unboxed set of the first 10 Kinks LPs from
there, too). I think I paid around $100 for it. It is quite a treasure.

>[Mark wrote:]
>This [Armenia City in the Sky] was written for The Who, so I wouldn't
>count it.
>Even though this [I'm the Face] is really Got Love If You Want It with
>different lyrics, it was also written for The Who (the lyrics I mean).
>
>[Greg stated:]
> Certain songs on that list of covers aren't exactly covers, are they?  I
> mean, Zoot Suit, I'm the Face, Armenia were all written for the Who by
> other people and Bald Headed Woman was written for the Who and the Kinks.
>
>[Phil replied:]
>Even though they may have been written for the Who, I still consider them
>covers.  They aren't songs by the band members themselves.

Phil,

I'm with Mark and Greg on this one. A song can't be covered if there's not
a previous original version.

Also, "My Way" (mislabeled "Easy Goin' Guy") is an Eddie Cochran song.

Greg,

I wouldn't say "Bald Headed Woman was written for the Who and the Kinks."
I'd say BHW was written by Shel Talmy for Shel Talmy and merely performed
by the
Who and the Kinks to make more money for Shel Talmy.

>Check out the end of the song UK Jive by The Kinks, on the CD of the same
>name.

Mark,

Another interesting Who imitation (not cover) can be found in the last
1-1/2 minutes of the title song of Lou Reed's Magic and Loss.

>Unless this was taped at the RnR Circus itself, that little fragment comes
>from the GET BACK/LET IT BE sessions.  John was inspired to sing it right
>after George walked out of the sessions, quitting the band for a week or
>so.  "A Quick One While He's Away"....  Far as I know they haven't played
>any other Who.

Carolyn,

I bought a vinyl Beatles bootleg years ago (can't remember the title) that
listed AQOWHA. I was quite disappointed to find that it was just a fragment
and that there was little else of quality or interest on this album.

Jim