"best of vinyl" -- track list

I went through all my vinyl and tried to reduce it to what I thought
was the best of what I had.  Well this turned out to fill two 90 min.
tapes, so I went over those two tapes and trimmed it down by half
again.  I had a hard time deciding what to leave out ;-).

For the non-bootleg vinyl I strove for a "scoop" approach: include
what's rare or out of print.  B-sides of singles and material omitted
from regular CD releases.  Who's Missing, Two's Missing, the reissues
and the boxed set have picked up most of this sort of thing.  The
"Who's Zoo" bootleg was popular for exactly the reason that it included
hard to find b-sides and other early tracks that were no longer in
print.  Most of this material is available again and remastered for CD
now.

For the bootleg vinyl I tried to take a little something from the
different concerts I have and avoid repeating songs (i.e. no version of
Drowned from a boot).  After selecting the best songs, I tried to
select ones that were unusual or unique in some way.  I ended up with a
"Side Above" and a "Side Below".

I'll make myself a 'master' based on this tracklist, and then I'll
send email to those who've expressed interest on how to get it, etc.

Side Above
----------
6:20 Baby Don't Ya Do It
	(live; at the Young Vic?)
	B-side to Join Together single released July 1972
9:40 Roadrunner / Join Together / My Generation Blues
	(live, Pontiac Stadium, MI) 1975
	From the Kids Are Alright soundtrack released 1979
3:15 Pinball Wizard
4:10 Drowned
6:00 Won't Get Fooled Again(*)
	(live, London, England) 1979/1980
	From the Secret Policeman's Ball.
	Pete on acoustic and singing alone except (*) where he is
	joined by John Williams.
3:50 Magic Bus
	(live, White City?) 1985
	B-side to Give Blood.  It says it is "Live with the Deep End
	and David Gilmour", but the song is actually a very HOB-disc
	like version with just Pete on electric and singing.
3:45 Classified
3:00 Greyhound Girl
	B-side tracks to Let My Love Open the Door, 1980
3:30 Dance It Away
	B-side to Uniforms, 1982
2:30 Man Watching
	B-side to Face Dances Pt. 2, 1982

Side Below
----------
0:30 My Generation (jingle)
2:50 Signal 30
	Two from "IBC Demos" (is it really BBC demos?).  A bunch of
	the material on this boot appeared on the boxed set and
	reissues, but there are still a few unreleased bits.  Ed
	Hanel's discography quotes Pete as saying he could press 10
	albums from his unreleased material!  I suspect the jingle
	will appear on the BBC disc due out soon.
	Signal 30 is just weird ;-).  I like it.
2:20 My Way
	From the Fillmore East 1968.  I know this boot is available on
	CD in some form or another, I just happen to only have it on
	vinyl ;-).
5:25 Bargain
	From "Long Live Rock" double LP boot of the 1979 tour.  This
	boot also has a good version of My Generation / Join Together
	/ My Generation Blues, but to include that on the same tape as
	the one from Kids would have the old skool fans lynching me.  :)

The remaining songs are from the triple LP bootleg of a 1979 concert in
Madison Square Garden I've mentioned on this list recently.  The sound
quality is good and the boys play an excellent show.  Three LPs is
about what it takes to cover an entire Who concert it seems.

2:30 I Can't Explain
	Maybe you're sick of hearing it,
	but its Pete's Commission, dammit! <g>
0:30 Roger dialogue
	Sorry, no spoilers ;-)
6:00 Who Are You
	Its like a preserves factory, there's so much good jam in this.
7:45 Music Must Change
	Dem Dam Horns again! ;->  A nice big jam at the end that winds
	up, slows down, and then winds up again to finish with a
	bang.
5:22 5:15
	Foreshadowing Vegas/HOB? (da da da dum! dum! dum!)
4:23 Long Live Rock
	Pete is very ... shall we say ... animated ... in this version :-)
3:58 Dance It Away
	This is the "jam" version of Dance It Away (to compare with
	the B-side).
5:00 Big Boss Man
	Anyone know who's song this is?  I have a feeling its a cover.
	This is excerpted from one big 18-minute megajam (also known
	as an encore ;-) on the final side of the 6-side LP extravaganza
	that consists of:
	    3:10 Shakin All Over
	    3:00 Spoonful
	    2:00 ? (unknown jam where Pete sings about colors!)
	    5:00 Big Boss Man
	    6:00 "Rock and Roll" jam (is this a real song?), where
		 Pete seems to adlib lyrics about the band members,
		 the audience and rock and roll music.  Is Rabbit
		 really from Texas like Pete says? ;-)
	During BBM, Pete asks the audience "Who do we work for?" and
	answers himself "We fucking work for you!  You're the boss!"

Whoever on this list likened the boys to a bunch of rock musicians
that play like jazz musicians, they hit the nail straight on the head
when I listen to that big 18-minute jam.  Intuitively you can hear
where one song stops and the next one begins, but they don't miss a
note inbetween!

"We put on our makeup and work out all the lead-ins..."
--
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/>	Legalize Adulthood!
    ``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,