Some Horny Guys

> Its funny, one of the things i've always liked about the who was the
brass
> they used.  I love the bit in 5:15 with them and Overture.

Nick:

Like I said, we all have our likes and dislikes...but let me clarify and
say I don't mind the horns on the studio albums, because they seem to be
well done. It's live I'm talking about here.

> Would that include all horns?  After all, The Who were using John's horns
> from early 1966 (Circles) on and even played them live (John, again, on
the
> 1973 Quad tour).

Brian:

Just the live ones, although I didn't hear the `73 John stuff. That I
probably wouldn't mind, mainly because it's the band themselves rather than
some extra horn guys. But when it comes down to it, I didn't mind the horns
on the 1996-97 Quad tour...they were just where they needed to be and not
intrusive at all.

> and needs something.  What it needs of course is Pete's loud electric
> (and/or Moon's drumming), but I'll take horns if that's all I can get.

I'll hold out for the guitar. FD is certainly the most guitar-free of The
Who's albums. Who-Lite. Another of my 469 reasons I don't like it very
much...

> ICSFM, of everything in The Who's catalog, may be the one song they
couldn't
> better by playing it live.

Maybe, but who knows? I'd sure like to have heard them try. Basically, they
would just do what they do with most of their early live stuff: do an
incredibly bombastic version. THAT is what I like about them live, which is
why I don't like the horns etc. etc.

> difficult to improve.

Well, maybe not improve but an alternate version. Think of the LAL MG as
opposed to the studio, or better yet the BBC or Land Of Hope And Glory
version.

> all accomplished musicians.  What's wrong with a little diversity?

Keets:

Nothing. I also don't want them same version over and over and over. But I
would like it to be an improvement, intead of just another way to be
different...now I'm thinking of Daltrey's orchestra tour. I'm also thinking
of U2's Rattle And Hum.

> made up at least one of the songs right there and recorded it on the
album.

I'd lay odds that would be The Ox.

       Cheers                  ML