Re: Damned horns

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark R. Leaman <mleaman@sccoast.net>
.Horns? They
> don't need no stinkin' horns. They sound better (IMHO) stripped
down...what
> could be better than LAL?

Would that include all horns?  After all, The Who were using John's horns
from early 1966 (Circles) on and even played them live (John, again, on the
1973 Quad tour).

As for myself it depends on the song.  I prefer You Better You Bet with the
live horns from 1989 to the studio version because the original sounds thin
and needs something.  What it needs of course is Pete's loud electric
(and/or Moon's drumming), but I'll take horns if that's all I can get.

ICSFM, of everything in The Who's catalog, may be the one song they couldn't
better by playing it live.  It's combination of extreme aggression with the
extreme precision needed to pull off its dramatic effects would make it very
difficult to improve.

        -Brian in Atlanta