Re: Damned horns

> I always liked those versions from 1980.

Scott:

I'll be the first to admit I've never been a fan of horns. A bit of Chicago
(EARLY!), the first BS&T album (with Al Kooper), and that's about all I can
stand (cause I can't stands no more). And though it may seem strange, I
don't count a sax in this. That can be OK, if used properly.
The WHO, of all bands, is a Rock band...THE Rock band, I'd say. Horns? They
don't need no stinkin' horns. They sound better (IMHO) stripped down...what
could be better than LAL?

> too intrusive to me.....but I know what you mean......they can start to
annoy at
> times.

I was really thinking of the `89 horns, as I've never heard the 1980
version of ICSFM. And specifically what sets my teeth on edge is the end of
Pinball Wizard from that tour. "Ba-da-DA-da" if you know what I mean.

> very Edge-like (U2).  Or is it the other way around? - The Edge plays
very Pete-like.

That's right. NOW you've got it.

> Funny, during the little "Who orgy" that Nick and I had last week, we
> both commented how the '79 MSG boot has horns, but that they serve to
> accent and complement rather than distract and overbear. YMMV.

Phil:

We all have our likes and dislikes. I don't like Pete doing Barefootin'
either...makes me wince.

> '96.  But I kinda think they wanted to perform their big operas in a
grand,
> professional style.  And they accomplished that.

Scott:

For Quad they needed it, but I can't help thinking about what Townshend
said in TKAA movie: "We were in danger of becoming a cabaret act."
Something like that.

> they mention this album was recorded and finished in one afternoon - is
this
> true...?

Jeremy:

Back then, it wasn't uncommon.