Re: Five-Man Format

>I gotta think it's only The WHO who are allowing themselves to play as a
>five-piece.  I mean, they could've played live as a five-piece in '89 or
>'96.  But I kinda think they wanted to perform their big operas in a grand,
>professional style.  And they accomplished that.  Even though I (and also,
>it seems, a lot of you punters) would have preferred five-piece, raw,
>sloppy, transcendental, ouch-my-ears-hurt, WHO.

I loved it, myself.  I have no objections at all to rock operas done in a
grand, professional style.  It added a dimension to The Who that was really
surprising and interesting, too.  Quirky bunch of guys, that.

>I wouldn't be at all surprised if Daltrey didn't sit Mr. Townshend down &
>say, "Look here, ya big-nosed sod, we're going out as a five-piece this
>time !  Either you say "yes" or it's '64
all over again & you get a 'bunch of fivers' upside your head !!"

Daltrey was responsible for the biggest band yet--the Juilliard orchestra.
But then, he does seem to be enjoying the five-piece.  (Is that an
understatement or what?)

keets