Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #53

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 19:48:36 -0500, "Christopher Heuing"
<cheuing@netwalk.com> , late of Pablo Fanques Fair wrote:

>I didn't think that mattered. I see all the time on this very list people
>trading and taping things.  It seemed to me that this list is meant for fans
>to be objective, mature about their love of The Who.

Indeed. I objectively despise people who would make illegal copies
of legitimate releases. The difference you do not seem to grasp is
between sharing and trading tapes that were never legitimately
released and pirating those that have been released by The Who.

>I am shocked that some of you have "taken the high road" and believe that it
>is wrong that I asked if there were going to be any copies available.
>It is not so much that some of you do not agree with me, that bothers me.
>But to tell me to "Fuck Off and Die" or  to e-mail me and call me "A
>wanker"? Is that really necessary?

Perhaps not, but it is immensely satisfying.

>I wonder if these folks also believe that it is wrong to buy "used" cds and
>sell stuff on E-bay.

Not the same thing at all.

>Taping and "pirating" will always exist. It is bigger than all of us. Record
>companies are not being hurt at all by any of this. They will always make
>money from me and you. The artists will make money too.

Not from you, apparently.

> These days, I guess we should all be ready to fork out the big bucks to be
>able to enjoy our idols. Just look at a couple of years ago, fans of "The
>Eagles" showed their appreciation by paying upwards of $150.00 a concert
>ticket. I guess I should shell out the money and be able to feel closer to
>Pete like some of you do.

Now you are just rationalizing your attempt at theft. For a 6-CD set
the price is reasonable.

--
Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL
kevin@ahuka.cnchost.com

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/