Re: Guitars

In article <MAPI.Id.0016.00636872616465203030303730303037@MAPI.to.RFC822>,
    "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>  writes:

> Of course I have no right to tell Pete what guitar to play.

I didn't mean to pick on you Scott, I meant a generic "you" in that
message, please don't take it personally :-).

There is often the expressed sentiment that one wishes Pete would play
like 19__ (insert whatever year you think Pete's sound was the best),
whether it be 1965 ("smash your guitar, Pete!") or whatever.  At the
same time there is this expression that we would like The Who to do
something new -- we don't want yet another greatest hits tour.

Yet these two things seem to be intertwined to me -- it is our desire
to have Pete lay down a fresh trail in a well walked part of the woods
that leads us to clamor for his guitar sound of old, while at the same
time we're asking him to take us on a walk through the frontier, the
unexplored territory.

I think we should say to ourselves that when we want to walk in the
land of 1970 that we pull out Live at Leeds or some other recording
(studio or live) from that era and be content with that.  What matters
for the here and now is for us to put our musical trust in Pete to
take us on a walk in new territory.  That's how I see it anyway.  This
desire to relive the past seems in constant conflict with a journey
into the future.
--
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/>	Legalize Adulthood!
    ``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,