Re:

In article <D5CE45D3889FD3118BFF00508B555AAC7ADF25@SCREAMMSG>,
    Kevin Cotrupe <KC@screamingmedia.com>  writes:

> I'm new to the list so I hope I'm not out of bounds by posting this query.

Welcome.

> Does anybody know where I could find some good boots , either audio or video

This is a tricky question.  People may know of sources where they can
buy this sort of stuff, but because its technically illegal nobody
wants to blurt out their favorite source in a public forum like this
(remember, this mailing list is archived!) for fear that their
favorite source will dry up.

The best way is to trade with other fans.  Other fans are likely to ask
you first -- have you bought all the legitimate catalog?  Most of us
got into boots because we had bought everything that was available to
us through the "regular" channels of distribution.  You want live
material?  Start with Live at Leeds and The Kids Are Alright soundtrack
(and the new Who release!) before you venture into bootlegs.  That way
the band will get their piece of the revenue before you start funding
the bootleggers.

Next, if you search the mailing list archives at
<ftp://ftp.igtc.com/pub/pmm/thewho/>, you'll find the subject of
bootlegs comes up pretty often but I can't recall anyone ever posting
a URL or a phone number or address of a place that is known to sell
bootlegs.  Even international law makes it nearly impossible to sell
them without drawing attention to yourself and eventually being shut
down.  This is probably the record label's doing and not the artists
themselves.  Rarely have I heard of an artist instigating action to
have boots withdrawn from the market, but it is often done by record
labels.

One thing that I can mention without fear is Goldmine magazine.  You
should be able to find this at any decent newsstand in NYC.  In
Goldmine the advertisements list "rare" recordings and such.  They
typically just have room enough to list band/title/media/price and
sometimes a quality grade.  Use the title to look up information in the
bootleg listings at www.thewho.net to find out fan-supplied opinions as
to quality and content.

Good luck.
--
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/>	Legalize Adulthood!
    ``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,