Lifehouse radio play

On January 30, Brian Cady asked:

> 3) Who is The Caretaker that both promises
> protection and inspiration for Ray but also doles
> out injury and who Ray must abandon now that he's
> an adult?  Kit Lambert?  Keith?  Pete's parents?
> Rock & Roll?

Pete's dad might've doled out injury but I don't know
of anything that'd suggest Pete abandoned him later in
life.  I don't see this character representing Keith
Moon, either.  Lambert is a possibility, as is Rock &
Roll in general.

Another candidate:  How about Roger Daltrey?  No
real-life person came to mind during my single
listening of this drama, but you've hit upon two
aspects that apply to the PT/RD relationship--Roger
once knocked Pete out, and Pete abandoned him by
breaking up The Who.

Entwistle has stated that Pete wasn't good with his
fists--I wonder if there were ever tense situations in
the early days when the band was confronted by a gang
or unruly mob and Roger was the one who rose to the
occasion?

And now that I think about it, Ray (Pete) is quite
adamant that The Caretaker utter a certain phrase,
which is somewhat similar to how Pete would supply the
words that Roger sang.  And maybe The Caretaker's
resistance symbolizes how Roger would was NOT just an
automaton but would lend his own interpretation to
lyrics.

Rich B.