The constitution, The Scene Club tapes and The Hawker

>work - just like everything else she has done in her "career"!

Greg:

You may not like her, but she's certainly been more successful than you (or
I). At least, so far.

>reserved to the states or the people (liberals HATE this amendment by the
way

You know, that's a funny thing...as I recall, it was Bush and the GOP who
rejected the will of the state of Florida via the Federal Court. I guess
what they stand for depends on what they want, and can change accordingly.
BTW, would you call that "integrity?" I wouldn't, but maybe that's me.

>The whole Constitutional structure is the finest politcal document that I
>have ever read

As an historical document, it's fine. But this is the future, my friend.
Jefferson and his pals didn't envision assault rifles and space shuttles.

>all that much - unlike those today who think that people are stupid

Don't worry; they'll be out in (Congress) two and then (Presidency) four
years. We can hold out.

>the Clinton team's own rhetoric, one could say that Bush now has more
>of a mandate than Clinton ever did, despite Gore's slim margin.

Alan:

Not really, since Clinton won the popular vote whereas Bush did not. Bush
has NO mandate by any definition. A mandate assumes a large amount of people
want something...and clearly the larger number of people didn't even want
Bush.

>A majority is 50% which none of the above recieved.

Ty:

According to Webster's, the majority is "the greater number." Therefore Gore
got the majority of votes.

> Could we please stay on topic.

It's all about Townshend's quote.

>I have been enjoying the ghostly-sounding recordings of our heroes from
1964
>(at The Scene Club).  What is striking to me is how terrible they sound.
>They had much to learn about each other and their instruments.

Jeff:

I guess it's all according to one's perspective. To me, the music sounds
like raw power. It's crude, yes, and ugly...so is the My Generation album
(one thing that concerns me if a remix is ever done, will the music lose
it's edge and sound like Pop music?). I like that about The Who...the
Beatles were SO polished, as were most of the early British bands (the
Stones weren't, though). To me, it's refreshing this way. IMHO the best cuts
on the remixed Odds & Sods are Leaving Here and BDYDI, both of which are
crude as Hell. It's a purity unsullied by studio work.

>the others.  Roger is doing a bad Howlin' Wolf impersonation regardless of

Daltrey was the least of them, in the beginning. At times he almost sounds
like he's strangling the words. I think he began to hit his stride with Sell
Out, although it depends on the song. Even on the O&S Leaving Here he shows
what's to come.

>To jump ahead a few years, I have been listening to the MFSL Tommy disc and
>the version of The Hawker is a re recorded version from 1970?, well I was
>wondering why did they rerecord it and were there any other tracks
>rerecorded from Tommy.

Drew:

Not rerecorded but just a different vocal track (Jeff, you can hear it on
Substitutes),. persumably unused the first time around. It was first issued
on a British rerelease of Tommy circa 1973. It was also used on the gold
MFSL Tommy, but I guess that's now out of print. BTW, in case you haven't
gotten it, the new MCA remix of Tommy sounds better than the MFSL version.

"The new President of The United Sates is
    what I would call a cunt "
              Pete Townshend

               Cheers                 ML