2001 (gonna be a good year?)

Hi,

Sorry for all the f-words in this post... I you don't wanna read them, stop
reading right HERE!!!

2000 was a fucking great year for me... And for The Who (I reckon that's
why it was great to me)... There where a lot of miracles happening and
dreams coming true; and I know I was not alone in feeling that way. At the
end of 1999 I got to see The Who for the very first time (and where I met
Queenie, John's mum, whom I had started to write). Back then I couldn't
foresee what would happen in 2000. I got to know The Who... And now it's
over... (the song is over?)

It kicked off with PT's Lifehouse concerts. I was thinking; "what the heck,
I can make that happen". I met some folks on Pete's webboard that became
good friends. Together with Jens from Denmark we got a crappy hotel room
and went to the concerts. Front fucking row and I blew my brains out. It
was so good. I especially remember the last concert, it raised hairs on the
back of my neck (Baba), made me laugh (Chucho clapping) and cry ("Mary",
"Greyhound Girl"). I was overwhelmed with emotions... I got to meet John
during the break. His girlfriend Lisa remembered me from writing his mum.
John drew me a spider on my BBC sessions LP and we talked a bit.

Then came Storytellers, the ultimate gig. Everyone was after tickets I
recall, but sadly it was very hard to get them. There was no fucking way I
could get there. I had no money. Just an urge to go. So me and Vinnie where
online night and day just to catch those darn VH1 shows where they gave
away tickets for Storytellers.
It was a monday night. I got back from what started as a horrible night. I
found a note on my door someone from Spain called. And I got an e-mail from
VH-1 I got 2 tix for Storytellers. So I called Vinnie who was just as
excited as me. I couldn't sleep that night. Gave my other ticket to Paul
and we drove to London a few days later (I recall it was very misty).
I felt like Charlie Bucket... (Roald Dahl reference)
Finally there I got seated on the 5th row. Pretty OK. Someone asked if I
wanted to be on the front row, and I said yeah, so I got escorted to the
front row, but waaaaay on the back. So I just headed back, but the best
seat I could take was 7th row now... Oh well... Then the director came to
me and asked if I wanted to sit on the stage on a fucking chaise-lounge.
Hooooooly shit... I couldn't believe it... So there I was...

I believe next up was the online chat with Pete at B&N. I got through... I
had written Pete (at SBE) about my parents disliking The Who, they're
thinking I'm brainswashed and all that shit... While I love The Who... This
is what I asked and this is what he said (it blew me away):

---
Bjorn Ciggaar from The Netherlands: Pete, what's the story behind your
latest song, "Can You Help The Ones You Really Love"? I loved hearing it
live at Sadler's Wells. I reckon you played that song on a Fylde at
Sadler's Wells?

PT: Fylde it was. The story behind the song is this -- if you had found
your Lifehouse (a place you felt your journey might end in joy and
fulfillment), would you be able to persuade your parents to join you?
---

Then came the announcement of the US tour. I had made friends in the US and
together with Jackie it seemed possible to follow them around the
north-east. Got to see a bit from the US and I did feel spoiled seeing 5
shows in about 2 weeks. It was crazy. Bumped into John again. Zak was
amazed to see me. At the arts exhibit in Washington DC Zak came in, saw me,
Bobby, Rabbit and Cy standing together and Zak (wearing all denim) was just
gazing around, saw me, and said "HEY!!!". That was so funny... Those
concerts where great, each one of them... I remember bits and parts... I
need video, I need CD's... I remember Pete throwing water bottles at the
lights in Holmdel, and doing Dance It Away during MG. Pete pointing me out
at Tweeter Center ("He wants me to play "Can You Help The Ones Your Really
Love""). Also I briefly got to meet Godfrey Townsend (from the JEB) at
Jones Beach, who was just amazed having a fan from overseas. :-)
And I got splinters from Pete's guitar which he smashed at Jones Beach...

Back home I must admit I was a bit in the red, but if you never have the
pleasure...

Lifehouse was broadcasted on the web. Nice, but even for me (on a T3) it
didn't move me as much as the live concert did. Nice to see how
enthousiastic I was at the end of Baba (jumping on my chair). Webcasts are
just too crappy still... But it's better then nothing at all... I just want
to either be a part of something (like a live concert) or either have it in
my hands (like a video tape).

So I was broke... Broke, broke, broke... So I worked 26-hour shifts (it
*IS* possible!!!) and got out of my debt (but not for long). A really good
friend knew I was wanting to go to NYC to see The Who at MSG. Even though I
slagged that place off publically on the list (I must admit I must've done
that just to make me feel better about missing it). And that friend offered
me a plane ticket... And so it was settled; I was going. I was staying with
Billy and this was gonna be great. Just go there have fun and see the
fucking WHO. I just couldn't believe it was happening to me until I was
there. So I got there... Went to a charity cover band concert the night
before (which I really enjoyed). Featuring Godfrey in the encore. Amazed by
me presence. Met a lot of friends again (from the other concerts) and had a
lot of fun. Bought tickets for the raffle (great cause, something to do
with music and kids). And fucking won a signed Lifehouse box set!
Last night at MSG was unbelievable. Got there and left in a white stretched
fucking limo. LIFE IS GREAT!
Met John again. Still didn't really recognise me... Heard Queenie was
looking all over for me the first night. Zak: "Wow Bjorn, you flew over all
the way to see us?". Me: "DUH! Ofcourse!". :-) Gave Zak a tape of me
drumming & singing to baba in purple tights.
Hung out with Godfrey. Told him I think I must be the one with the biggest
JEB collection in Europe... His reply: "Yeah, well, you're the only one who
knows us out there!". :-)

Glasgow was next... I was sorta feeling guilty going to this show... The
time I was taking up from internship. But when I got there it was all over.
;-) Fucking unbelievable show. Got squeezed up front. Roger pointed me out,
liked my green hair. Got to meet Roger (just briefly) and got my picture
taken with him... Second night there was unbelievable. They where so good.
Brought a pillow to keep me from either breaking bones or vomiting blood.
It helped and it got noticed. I made it on Pete's site. My flatmates
followed it for a bit and where amazed by my appearance there... :-)
Lost my notorious WHO-shirt (which I had worn to all the concerts in the
USA and which was signed by John, Zak and Rabbit... and which had never
been washed) and by a miracle I found it again...

London was up. It's always nice to be back in London. I was surrounded by
lovely people (well, all who-fans are). ;-) London Arena ("DA FOCKING
WHO!") and Wembley. After the last show Zak came up to me and told me he
loved the video. He was pretty impressed, but; my singing was better then
my drumming... And my outfit was even better then my singing!
Queenie was there too. It was really nice meeting her again and talking
with her...

Royal Albert Hall... Well, those of you who got the video can see it; I
WENT OUT OF MY FUCKING BRAAAAAAIIIINNNN!!!!! That 7th row ticket turned out
to be front row fucking CENTER!
Got to meet Pete and got my picture taken with him... It was a very special
night...
Queenie was surprised to see me...

Every show had been great... But the best part of all (and that's the
truth) was the surrounding. It was the people around me, the places I had
been. The friends I had made. I treasure that the most...

Now what is this? I'm just a 20-year old kid, and I get all this... I
started to believe in Karma... The Who is my Lifehouse.

Records I play now a lot at the end of the year are;

"Dance It Away" (works great if you got WHO-blues, DANCE IT AWAY!!!)
"Exquisitely Bored" (yup)
"Bony Maronie" (personal reasons) ;-)
"Mary"/"Greyhound Girl"/"Sister Disco"/"Song Is Over" (Sadler's Wells")
"Can You Help The Ones You Really Love" (both Lifehouse and SW)
"Heart To Hang Onto" (for my WHO-blues, my favourite is the one with Eddie
Vedder at Late Night)
"Drowned" (any version, I'm starting to understand more and more songs now,
and I want to drown in WHO)
"It's hard" (because it is! I totally *understand* this song now...)

Going through my vinyl collection and looking at my memorabilia I wonder
what I should do or plan for 2001... Even though I only got to enjoy them
for a year, is there a life without my Lifehouse for me? Will sitting
behind the PC writing to O&S (or whatever), browsing through e-bay for
WHO-stuff, etc. still do it for me? Or would that only make me feel worse?

I think I should sorta do what Roger says The Who are doing: "We are kinda
like a bunch of recovering alcoholics; we take it one day at a time.". One
day at a time... It's fucking hard!!!

"Keep on working..."

love, peace,

Bjorn