Where has the melody gone

Fellow Who fans,

We love The Who, fantastically - full stop.  But I want to point out a
disturbance in the force I have been feeling since "The Iron Man" and now
is firm in my mind after shelling out for John Entwistle's recent attempt
of "Vanpires".  To put it simply, I think Townshend and Entwistle have lost
their ability to create and write songs.

"Iron Man" and "Phsychoderelict" had some good spots, but too many of the
songs offer too few good melodies, very few melodies - definitely not what
was standard as recently as "White City".  After the "Phsycho" flogging, PT
went to the label and insisted to end a contract for future albums and he
is very resistant to write for The Who.  We all know his quotes as to why.
PT has his own website where he can release new albums, but he only
revisits his past now with rereleases and with The Who it has only been
Tommy, Quad, and now Lifehouse for the past 11 years.

I was just listening to "To Late the Hero" - a good album.  Then I harkened
back to JAE's contributions to "Who Are You" and I say this is good
stuff.  But now I am embarrassed to listen to the CD's "The Rock" and
"Vanpires" is total *$%*#.  JAE produced 4 solo albums within a decade in
the 70's, since "Too Late the Hero" only two partially written attempts in
two decades?  He only cowrites now, when have you seen cowriting in
Entwistle stuff before "Too Late…"? and now he can not even fill one CD
worth of material.  The best song on "Vanpires" is one he wrote in the
70's, "Bogeyman".  Even the bass player hero we know JAE to be is muffled,
his playing on the last too albums are all to standard schlock only live it
is brilliant.

Every artist, be they poet, author, or musician goes through creative
spurts, creative ebbs and flows.  I was a music major at college and I now
only too well that at times there is nothing in the tank.  So, I think the
only hope for a Who album rests on Roger Daltrey and I am not sure I want a
new album.  Daltery always was resistant to offer songs to The Who because
the caliber of PT's was so high, he said.  Now he has been at the forefront
of offering songs and his last solo album had him increasing co-songwriting
chores.  I think he is left with the gas in the tank.  The Who need each
other's creative challenges to produce the best in themselves, bottom
line.  Away from each other it is less together it is grand.  No new PT
album since the mid-90's JAE's are too painful to discuss and nothing new
from The Who since '82.

PT and JAE have nothing that recently you can hum and sing and yell at the
top of your lungs about, nothing to whistle or inspire...there are no good
melodies left for them.  I can only take solace in the fact that Paul
McCartney has lost and Eric Clapton revisits the blues and rarely writes
his own music for an entire album regardless.  All the greatest jazz
musicians rarely wrote, but interpreted and created and let's not even talk
about the 65 million album selling Monkees.  I would still pay to see The
Who live any day any where as I did with Miles Davis and Tito Puente.

I open this for discussion and I look forward to what we think about my
craziness, my disappointment and trepidation for a future of The Who.  I
hope there will be few flames, but some creative ideas as to my theory