collaboration

OK Mark,
I will concede that The Who collaborating with a slew of youngsters is
probably not the best formula for success (commercial or artistic) now.
The point in doing that for Santana was that he wanted to partner with
some contemporary popsters.  The Who have each other to collaborate with.

Perhaps 10 years from now we might see one or more surviving Who members
try this sort of thing individually.  I am no expert on Santana, but it
does seem likely that he modeled the 'Supernatural' idea after his work
with John Lee Hooker  the last few years.  The Hooker stuff works better
for me anyway ('Best of Friends' is awesome).  And you can't rag on him
for wearing tie-dye or being too commercially successful, although he has
won several Grammies.

While we're still on the subject of Santana, have you heard the
Clapton/Santana version of 'Eyesight to the Blind' on Clapton's
Crossroads 2?   Great stuff with a Who tie-in :-)

Jeff