Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #338

Ok everyone -

I just heard the U2 version of WGFA.  Now mind you I think U2 is a brillant
band.  Most all of their stuff is great.  But after listening to them do a
cover of one of the greatest songs of all time...it was a bit sad.  I think
U2 reminds me of a 80's/90s version of the Who.  Their songs are powerful and
unique and you can always tell its them.  And I have heard Bono rave about
how the Who influenced them and how great he thinks they are..well he did
induct them in the R and R Hall of Fame...but I do think there could have
been a little more effort given to WGFA.  But I guess it was a nice try, and
probably better than any of these new fluesy bands could have done.
But after listening to covers of Led Zep songs and Doors songs (gotta love
that one by STP doing Break on Through) the newer bands don't do a bad job of
covers.

Gloria