BBC News on Keith Moon auction

Available on line at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/newsid_1054000/1054555.stm

'Last photo' of Lennon and McCartney for sale

The "last known" photograph of John Lennon and Paul McCartney together is to be
auctioned on the internet.
The black and white photo is part of a collection of the late Who drummer Keith
Moon memorabilia and is expected to fetch up to £15,000.

The image, taken together with a series of colour Polaroids, was taken four
years after the group split up in 1974 at the recording of US singer Harry
Nillson's album Pussycats.

Lennon produced the album during his 18-month so-called Lost Weekend period when
he left his wife Yoko Ono and moved from New York to Los Angeles.

The photo was taken when McCartney turned up unannounced and sat in on the
recording sessions.

The collection is being sold by Peter Butler, Moon's PA from 1971-1977.

"That's a very special picture so I will be keeping a copy to hang in my living
room," he said.

The reunion has been documented by Mojo magazine and in the book The Beatles
after the Break-Up, by Keith Badman.

Also for auction is a ceramic toilet owned by Keith Moon and used as an ornament
at his garden in Surrey, and a collection of personal belongings, including
clothes and lyric sheets.

Mr Butler added: "The toilet, along with nearly everything else, in this sale
has just been sitting in my loft since the 70s.

"Auctioneers have phoned me on and off over the years asking me to sell and I
have always said no.

"But now I think it is time someone else enjoys them. I have the memories."

The entire sale is expected to fetch between £120,000 and £140,000.

Keith Moon died in 1978 from a drugs overdose.

The auction takes place this week on www.fleetwoodowen.com.

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm