Earth To Pete

> Unless you have his private e-mail address (and not pt@eelpie.com and no,
> don't have it) he's not going to read it.

Brian:

Oh, yeah, like *I* have his private address. I don't want it; it's too
tempting to try to become Pete's new best EMail buddy.
I did send it to pt, and have been told he reads it daily. I'd decided to
even before I finished the first paragraph. But I don't hold any hope it
will alter his perspective.

> Put it in a letter and mail it

Too late by then.

> I will, too but apparently Mark, you and I are part of a small group.

We are the elite; they are the masses. I don't care if they play Pinball
Wizard or Baba or BBE, and would love them to play Leaving Here or Cooks
County, something rare. I didn't suggest anything, as you might have
noticed.

> And that's probably why Who fans are such notorious whiners.  As Roger
says,
> Who fans hold the band to a much higher standard than fans of other
bands.

We see what they can do, even when Pete feels it's a failure.

> Please let us be just a good rock & roll band!

I understand, but it doesn't seem he understands why. Besides, it's the
plain old RnR band that bores him.

> he's saying is the old saw about criticism is pointless because it made
by
> people who don't produce.  As one critic said in rejoinder, "I don't have
> know how to make a table to tell it's wobbly."

Well, there again he taught us to be critical so what does he expect.

> What I think Pete means is that he feels he is a conduit for his art and
not
> its source.

HE might feel that way, but I don't. He created it. If he feels helpless,
then he's fooling himself. Besides, I don't believe he does. I think he
wants to say he does.

> about it.  He's also scared because it's been so long since he's written
for
> a Who album and when he did for their last two albums he got slammed
badly.

I'm probably more scared than he is. I'd rather them not do it if the album
is even just good. It's got to be incredible, a home run, or it's better
not made.

> Or like Ray Davies performing Kinks songs with Yo La Tengo in New York
> recently?

And with the Smithereens, sometime in the 80's.

> Careful Mark, this is a remark that turn and bite you very
> easily.

Maybe, but I stand by it for now. I thought he might get a laugh out of it.
I know you (and some others) picked up on a lot of things in that EMail
which were references I knew he would pick up on.

> And by the way, if you want to read a rave about that show

Thanks.

> "Tell me 'bout the destiny I can't prevent.  And however much I squirm,
> there ain't no way out!"
> And two years before Obi-Wan.

I was again hoping for a laugh there. Since he seems to be in such a
depressed state. I referred to his songs once (No Road Romance) and then
tried not to appear to be too much of an "insider" from there. All
according to plan, you know.

> Except for constant bitching about it on all the Who mailing lists.

They need to deal with it. Both the fans and Pete need to compromise, but
more than anything else Pete had better enjoy it or there'll be no tours at
all.

> As I thought, it was only a passing emotion as Monday's diary entry
shows.

I still think he needed to hear it (read it) before he lets himself get
back into that state of mind again.

> to find a set list taped to his door saying, in effect, "play this or we
> won't like you".  If I were him my message would have consisted only of
> "Fuck you all."

I don't believe that. You and he are both intelligent enough to know where
it all comes from.

"When you elect me in November, we'll be done with four years of Clinton
and Gore."
       George W. Bush, Presidential Candidate 2000

                    Cheers                  ML