Gorge review from Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Available on line at:
http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/pop/whoq.shtml

The Who performs powerful show at The Gorge

Monday, August 21, 2000

By GENE STOUT
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER POP MUSIC CRITIC

The windmills were spinning at The Gorge this weekend.

The power source was Pete Townshend, guitarist for British rock supergroup
The Who.

Townshend's trademark windmill technique -- swinging his arm in giant
circles as he played guitar -- brought whoops of delight from the crowd of
more than 13,000.

Currently on a U.S. tour, The Who are reliving the glory days of their
career, which began in the '60s with such songs as "I Can't Explain" and
"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere."

The band was in top form at The Gorge, dazzling the crowd with a generous
selection of old hits and obscure gems, among them "I Can't Even Know
Myself."

This wasn't a group of 50-ish has-beens milking the concert circuit one last
time. Townshend, singer Roger Daltrey and bassist John Entwistle performed
with the skill and artistry of seasoned veterans with a renewed passion for
their music. Daltrey, 56, looked especially good -- and surprisingly
youthful.

The core members were joined on stage by guest musicians Zak Starkey (Ringo
Starr's son) on drums and John "Rabbit" Bundrick on keyboards. Starkey was
the quiet powerhouse, keeping time with awesome precision.

The 2 1/2-hour show under clear skies followed a set by UnAmerican, an
English quartet led by former World Party guitarist Steve McEwan.

The Who opened with "I Can't Explain" and moved through its repertoire in a
loose, chronological order, offering songs from "My Generation," "The Kids
are Alright," "Quadrophenia" and other albums. The show included a spotlight
set by Townshend on acoustic guitar.

The audience cheered at the distinctive opening riffs of "Baba O'Reilly," a
song that provided one of many special moments in the show -- and some great
harmonica playing by Daltrey. Spinning lights illuminated the crowd during
another classic tune, "Pinball Wizard."

The group's signature "Who Are You?" was followed by a jam-oriented "Magic
Bus" and a dreamy "Behind Blue Eyes," slightly marred by a stiff breeze that
caused some sound problems. A good-natured Daltrey afterward quipped, "Would
someone please turn the wind down?"

The main set came to a close with "You Better You Bet" and "Won't Get Fooled
Again." The encore featured a tender "The Kids Are Alright" and the anthemic
"My Generation."

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm