Re: suicide?

Cory,

It looks like a couple of responses on the WHO list say at the beginning
of the film you see Jimmy walking away from the cliff....therefore the
whole film is a flashback....which makes sense.  Except I didn't get
that...(Was I in the kitchen getting a snack?  Jeez...)

My 18 yr. old daughter LOVES this film by the way, so I'm used to
debating the merits of it.  And she felt strongly that Jimmy doesn't die
at the end.  And I feel strongly that there was redemption at the end of
the album....which I failed to see in the movie.  See, I really really
liked the character of mixed-up Jimmy on the album.  Was fascinated by
him.  Felt like a female version of him.  By the time I watched the
video, I was middle-aged.  Do you think that might color my response to
it?  I bet it does.  I wanted to see the Jimmy of my youth....what I saw
on screen was a sad and pathetic kid, with asshole friends, and a
beautiful girlfriend  who defined the word Bitch.  It made me queasy.
Perhaps the thought that I had  NOT been infinitely amusing and quirky
and misunderstood as a kid, but merely sad and pathetic....yechh!!

I think my original instinct regarding this film was accurate....The
film came out in 1979.  I was married by that time, and my life revolved
around bill collectors, and an alcoholic husband.  So I thought to
myself "This film will never have the impact of the album on my life.
It'll be a disappointment and a waste of time to go see it."  But the
dirty truth may be that I realized I was turning into Jimmy's parent.
Double yechh!!

Enjoy the concert! (tonight?)

-Jill-