From: Scott Schrade [mailto:schrade@akrobiz.com]
Sent: None
To: THE WHO
Subject: FACE DANCES

OK, here's my worthless opinion on the FACE DANCES issue:

While discussions as to "what happened" toward the end of The WHO's
studio recording career tend to make my head spin, I still believe that the
majority of blame, for lack of a better word, must lie with Pete.  Let's be
honest with ourselves: his songwriting got worse.  Much worse.

I know, I know......some people love FACE DANCES, some people love
IT'S HARD, some people love a few songs, & some people love more
than a few songs from these last two studio albums; but the fact of the
matter is most of these songs just aren't as good as Pete's previous
efforts.

It's not how Daltery is interpreting the songs, it's not John's playing,
it's
not the recording, & it's not even Kenney's playing; tell it like it is:
most of
these songs just plain stink.  *That's* why these albums are continually
regarded as sub-standard by *most* critics & even *most* WHO fans.

But, like everything, it's not that "black & white."  "Another Tricky Day"
is one of my favorite WHO songs.  I can't explain.  I used to feel the same
way about WHO ARE YOU but now I enjoy *most* of that album.  But
after nearly 20 years, neither FD or IH has grown on me; they sound as
awkward & lame as they did back then.

Here's the deal: whereas WHO albums up until 1975 (I'll leave out WAY
because that just seems to confuse things) usually contained about 80%
to 90% of kick-ass material, the percentage of inspiring songs on FD & IH
drops substantially.

And while EMPTY GLASS could've been a solid WHO album, Pete's song-
writing "unevenness" continued on into his solo efforts as well.  Instead of
*great* solo albums, we got a few *great* songs on mostly mediocre efforts.
Why do you think Pete is so worried about writing new material for The WHO?
Because his track record for the last 20 years is spotty at best.  He knows
that
& he's worried.

I hate to be so negative & Fang-like but this is how I feel.  Maybe some of
you punters will be able to straighten me out !  I need you....

- SCHRADE in Akron