Another lap around Napster

>Yes; to keep my analogy valid, I should have mentioned that the
>aforesaid Who album being sold song by song would be a concept
>album/rock opera, so that getting only the first three songs would only
>tease the listener into wanting more.

Carolyn:

Despite owning a music store, I am still for the selling of music...either
online or at a store. So I have no problem with giving a taste of the CD to
people, and there's nothing to stop bands from doing this. That's no
different than the radio is supposed to be, really.
If stores become obsolete, I will adapt.

> I agree with everything you've
>posted so far concerning the Napster debate, BTW.

Thanks; I'm glad SOMEONE does! I was feeling kinda lonely...

>What ever became of Rodney anyway? ;-)

Kevin:

Jail.

>the manner of the 1996-97 Quadrophenia won't work.  I disagree, of
>course, as I think a lot of Who fans would, but that's Pete.

Brian:

I don't know...Lifehouse is so complex that I can't imagine it being staged.
A movie, yes. In fact, it's too bad Kubrick is gone (well considering Eyes
Wide Shut, maybe not) because I think it would be a nice 2001-type movie.
And let's keep Mel Gibson out of this one; I like Road Warrior but that's
the only post-apocalyptic movie I do like. No stacks of tires for Lifehouse,
thanks very much.

>They definitely want to stop it, but it takes more than wishes. Let
>us take your example of a program that detects and stops downloads
>of music. Where is this program going to reside?

Kevin also:

At the risk of quoting Al Gore, I'm not a computer expert. I do know that
when we're on the phone there are programs which detect certain words (like
"bomb") and begin recording. I assume someone can come up with something
along those lines.

>intend to install it on my computer. My ISP? They won't cooperate

If it's a law, they will or be forced to shut down.

>create such a program, I would give it a week, maybe, before the
>patch to break it gets posted all over the Web.

I've heard that argument before, and all I have to say is: the people with
the most money always win. Ask yourself why OJ is walking around free. Sony
and Warner Brothers, both opposed to Napster, have more money than almost
anyone.

>programs, the software industry, cannot stop software piracy, what
>on earth makes you think the RIAA can write a program to do it?

Because there's more money involved.

If they decide to add a tax to the blank media (as Brian suggested they
might), it would have to be a steep one to cover the lost money. I don't
really see it as enough even then to cover the hundreds of thousands of
copies made from one.

> I know we occasionally drift off topic, but this has thread has really
> gotten pretty far away from the charter for the list.

Paul:

I am sorry that it did, but with the one liners and sigs never intended to
do more than provide a bit of humor. As can be clearly seen by the context.
I do invite any list members who have a problem with them in the future to
respond private, to which I will reply (as I did with Jim) and happily show
you the light.

"We must all hear the universal call to like
   your neighbor like you'd like to be liked yourself."
                           George W. Bush, Presidential candidate

        Cheers                 ML