Re: RIAA bites the dust

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 16:08:51 -0400, Brian Cady <cadyb@home.com> ,
late of Pablo Fanques Fair wrote:

>>Basically, all they have to sell is 1s and 0s,
>> plus a little packaging, and the 1s and 0s can be duplicated quite
>> easily.
>
>This is why I think that after they failed to do it with tape and
>digital tape, the RIAA will succeed this time in slapping a surcharge on
>CD-R's and CD recorders.  It's almost inevitable after they realize
>there is no technical way to stop the Internet trading and duplication
>of sound files.

That is an interesting point. Since CD-R's and CD-Recorders have
alternative uses, in computing, will they be allowed to pass a tax
on computer users so support music? This is not nearly so open and
shut. And it requires legislation.

--
Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL
kob1@ix.netcom.com

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/