Re: The Kids Are Offspeed; Money in various configurations; MP please

Hey everyone
For future releases, if you can, try preordering DVDs.  I did this with Who's Next and received it
the day before the official release.

--- "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net> wrote:
> > FWIW I notice that thewhodirect.com is also carrying the DVD of WN
> > now.  (Plus a snazzy black bomber jacket with the band's logo.)
>
> Phil:
>
> I didn't know that. I wish I had, but now it's too late.
>
> > Then there's no point in buying it.  Might as well just get another
> > copy of the VHS when it wears out than upgrade.
>
> Ah, but is it still in print on VHS? Most movies aren't, once they're
> released on DVD.
>
> > How you handle money has to do with your value system.  Obviously they
> have
> > put money aside, but the way they generally run things, you'd suspect
> > they're more artistically oriented than business oriented.
>
> Keets:
>
> You've got a good point, but it's not brain surgery. Buy land. That's all
> you have to do. No way to lose on that one, really.
>
> > Pete has show signs of an urge to accumulate wealth just lately
>
> But he has the ability to create, whereas the other two aren't so apt in
> that department.
>
> > a studio to do it for you, you can always finance it yourself.
>
> I would have thought he'd rather anyway, in order to retain control. Look
> what happened with Tommy, when he handed complete control to Ken Russell.
>
> > >Roger and John should promote their songs for use in ads and  movie
> >
> > Good idea.
>
> Alan:
>
> Uh, maybe not in Rog's case. Hey, I like the guy and all but his
> songwriting skills are extremely limited.
>
> > I just read on petetownshend.com today that he's released Scoop and
> > Another Scoop remasters on the eelpie records label.
>
> Phil:
>
> I guess he kept the rights, having learned from his experiences with MCA.
>
> >      I've ordered from CDNow for 3 years, and I have had to order the
> Who's
> > Next DVD 4 times, each to no avail.  I finally told them to cancel the
> > order, and I'm going to get it from TheWhoDirect.
>
> Jon:
>
> You guys fill me with hope, you and Derick. I got nothing again today.
>
> > 	So this is the deal. You sign away a little chunk of your immortal soul
> > and most of the profits on recorded media in return for distribution and
> > promotion.
>
> Uh, THIS is rather biased. What about the money put up by the label to
> distribute and promote the band, which obviously the artist doesn't have?
>
> > 	The numbers are pretty harsh. You pay $12 to $16 for a new CD. That CD
> > cost around $1.80 to manufacture, including the disk, printing,
> > packaging, and insert.
>
> Actually more like $.80. Let's keep this argument accurate.
>
> > 	The rest of the profits, $4-$6, goes to the record company. For the
> > service of being the record company and doing what record companies do.
>
> Yeah, like getting the artist an audience.
>
> > 	The record industry standard contract is pretty simply "Give us all the
> [...]

=====
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."                                                                        John Lennon