RE: Classic Baba.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Baba, classic in oh so many ways.
>It sounds very abstract to me, like accompaniment without the
>lyric line, and I have a really hard time paying attention to it.  There's
>lots of interesting stuff going on in there, but without the lyric line it
>doesn't form a coherent whole.  It just doodles around and doesn't say
>anything.  Am I right that it doesn't have a theme?  Or is it there and I'm

>just not hearing it?

(O'Neal, Kevin) Hmmmmm, I see what you are saying here.  Definitely kind of
plays around there in the middle.  I see this piece as an Intro. into
Lifehouse, not as the meat.  This may explain the lack of clear "theme" or
message.  It's not so much the words of the song, as it is the over all
sound, notes, feel, history of Baba.  It pulls on our own interpretations,
our own memories of those summer nights listening to Baba.  It's been in our
consciousness for years and years; this is a way of elevating the mere song
into anthem-dom.
In Lifehouse, instead of having an "Overture" as in Quad, you have Baba.

>>I love the beginning, but then much of Pete's classical stuff kind of
>>leaves "who-ville" if you will, and becomes just another classical piece
>>to me.

>What?  I love the little "Prelude" on SCOOP II, but I've not heard much of
>anything else.  Got any great sources for other stuff?  :)

(O'Neal, Kevin) Sorry about that, I wasn't clear at all.  What I was trying
to say is that while I love Baba on CD4 of Lifehouse Chronicles, the other
classical material (both Pete's and others) doesn't do much for me.  It's
just more classical music.  There's no connection there for me. I've tried
to see it, but can't.  Maybe there's a history I don't know of.
I love the sound of an orchestra and would love to hear an orchestra play
much Who.  *That* would be my connection.
Like you've said, most stations play only the grand masters.  While I dig
many "classical" classical pieces, I don't connect with the time or "times"
most were written in.
I immediately connect with Baba.  Pete's angst, anger and passion come
screaming through.  Now *that* I can identify with.

>I haven't read much about it on any of the lists.  Have you heard anything
>about it elsewhere?
>keets

(O'Neal, Kevin) No, not the big topic these days.
Kevin in Vt.