RE:The great debate (By Numbers vs. Who Are You vs. It's Hard)

> Who Are You's underlying theme was about the changing face of music and The
> Who's efforts to change with it.  I think that, at times, it suffers from
> the "Daltrey power vs. Townshend's deep, introspective lyrics" problem that
> plagues many Who songs.  It doesn't make them bad, but sometimes the
> Townshend deomos have more impact because HE was singing HIS lyrics and HE
> knew the kind of emotion that HE wanted to express in the songs.  Get a copy
> of the demos for Who Are You, or listen to Scoop and Another Scoop-you will
> understand.

While I think Daltrey is a great rock singer, I agree that Pete's voice is sometimes much better suited to his material. The first time I heard the demo of Love is Coming Down I was blown away by the difference. Roger sings it as a boast, while Pete sings it as a plea, and you can feel the
yearning.

Dave