Re: It's Hard To Write New Songs

Scott Schrade wrote:

> Honestly, you "IT'S HARD proponents" who like
> that better than WHO BY NUMBERS or WHO ARE YOU
> amaze me !  Truthfully, I don't understand
> how anyone could like IT'S HARD better than
> those other two albums.

...followed by another message which was kinder to
several of the album's songs than I was expecting.

Others may prefer It's Hard to By Numbers, and I can
understand why, but I'm not quite in that camp because
I put the two in the same ballpark.  What _I_ don't
understand is claiming that It's Hard is inferior to
Who Are You without any explanation.  In the grand
tradition of Aristotle<g>, I previously acknowledged
Who Are You's strengths--a superlative title track and
three of JAE's best songs (some people may not like
"Had Enough" but it was the ONLY Entwistle song to
considered by the band as a legit A-side).  That
leaves five Pete songs:  "New Song," "Sister Disco,"
"Music Must Change," "Guitar And Pen," and "Love Is
Coming Down."

No Moon at all on one song (Kenney could do THAT!).
Full string arrangement on another.  "Show-tune
grandeur," as Matt Resnicoff put it in his liner
notes, on "Guitar And Pen."  Not exactly the stuff of
Who's Next!

Mind you, I don't dislike any of these songs (wish I
could say the same about a few Face Dances clunkers).
The point is that more than half the album isn't any
better than half of It's Hard.

Rich