Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #232

-

>Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:35:28 -0400 (EDT)
>From: KOPTIS@webtv.net (Mark J. Lanzilla)
>Subject: And now a word from our sponsor.............
>
>RYDER CUP!
>USA! USA! USA!
>thank you---   :-)
>
>i know it's on-WHO.....but BOY!

Just a point from the European perspective - great competition, great golf,
marvellous achievement by the US team. But why spoil the effect by all that
jingoistic whooping war-dancing? Especially BEFORE the European player was
able to take his final putt, which COULD have kept the tie alive a wee while
longer? Congrats, amite, fraternite etc etc - but perhaps the US team and
gallery could have remembered it's a SPORTING contest - not a war. And
tramping over the "the other fellow's" line before he putts is - just plain
rude.

>Radio 2 is a national UK BBC channel, catering mostly for middle-aged
>people
>with middle-of-the-road tastes.  It's as if Roger has said 'goodbye to
>street cred' and 'hello middle age'.

Certainly Radio 2 WAS traditionally the home of the bland aural soup served
up to the "one foot in the grave" audience. However, since the Beeb decided
to rejuvenate Radio One, by making it the station for the cutting-edge hip
youth (all gangsta-rap and trip-hop, or drum'n'bass),it's relocated some of
the "classic raaarrk" material to Radio 2. This must have come as quite a
kick uo the cardie for most of the snoozers and former crooners who've
habitually infested this station - and about time too. So RD may NOT quite
have waved his cred goodbye. Anyway, I thought he'd already bid it a fairly
significant fond adieu when he appeared on the American Express credit cards
ads on telly - waving his plastic in support of his trout farm...

> >Final Thought:  What do you think that Jody Linscott girl gets paid for
> >just hitting all that stuff?
>
>Who's going to complain?  She looks decorative, and she plays a mean kettle
>drum. ;)
>

>keets

Oh come on keets - this is 1999! Anyway - she DOES add a real edge to the
sound on stage - check out the vids. If The Who are to reappear on tour in
their augmented format, I'd personally be delighted if JL was up there
handling percussion.

>That girl plays her ass off!! She adds so much to a live show.  Lots of
>times
>you may think it's the drums or a synth, but it's her!

Hear, hear!!

- "For that's what true beauty is - time's gift ..." PT '81

Simon M in Liverpool