Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #241

Jeffree:

Ken Russell always has fun with his movies. You can never take them
seriously, they're just too bizarre.

>    Secondly: TOMMY is, was and forever will be an humorous embarassment
and
> nothing more. Those of you who LIKE this movie (beyond the cheesy-kitsch
> aspect and the "look! That's Eric Clapton... boy, he must be ashamed of
> this now..." aspect) should watch the film called "Quadrophenia". Alot
less
> WHO in it, but it takes the story and characters seriously and it manages
> to be a quite moving (and coherent) experience. As for "Tommy the Movie",
> view it as most Batman fans view the Batman television show. I think this
> is the kind of thing Pete and Ken Russell had in mind, really.

My phone call to HOB yesterday revealed the following: "Only 400 tickets
were sold because only 400 ticketholders will be at the show." Right. And
we're all having tea with The Who before the performance. You're correct
about scalpers being "beaten severely" for making a profit off of those
tickets. I say string 'em up by the toenails!

>    Thirdly: I want to second the opinion expressed yesterday, about NOT
> buying HOB tickets from scalpers, no matter how badly you want them. It's
> charity gig and any scalper who wants to make a buck off this should be
> beaten severely. That's just COLD. Screwing fans and the charity, in my
> opinion. Hope for a second show, or a tour, and be happy with that. And
no,
> I didn't get tickets either.

Best Buy (here in the Milwaukee area) has the CD. The store I visited also
had RD's DST CD for $4.99, too. JEB's Left For Live CD was in stock as well.

>    Lastly: Speaking of COLD, the major record stores in my area aren't
> stocking Pete's Live CD either. I'll get it at an out of the way store
that
> I know has it, but that's beside the point. Best Buy doesn't have it
> because they don't think they'll SELL enough of it to make it profitable
> for them to bother carrying it. Let me repeat that Pete's proceeds go to
> charity. How f'n cold is that of the big record stores? We won't make
> enough of a buck off it to bother carrying it... but the artist is giving
> his proceeds away. Very sad world we live in, some days.

Kathy, re: ticket purchases:

Great idea, but I see flaws in this. What if you're sick and need to pass
the ticket along to someone else? Call the venue? How do you prove you are
who you are? In large theaters, this process would take forever. What if I
was able to buy two extra tickets and wanted to sell them here on the list
(at face value, of course!)? How would you deal with this? I guess I'm just
getting too old for this crap to happen time and time again.

Didn't Pearl Jam sell tickets to their fan club (or newsletter subscribers,
whatever) first for some of their shows a few years ago? My niece got her
tickets this way and went to a show in Maine, of all places. This seems like
a better idea to me. Any other thoughts??

> There's a fairly easy way to do it...when you buy the ticket you have to
> designate who is going to be using it....and then to go into the show you
> have to identify yourself.  Your name and the name on the ticket don't
> match?  You don't get in.  That way you *can* buy for friends who are not
> there but a broker can't buy to resell.  I had a friend tell me that's
what
> Pearl Jam did one year.  Cut the scalpers off completely.

And, while on the subject of The Who ... anyone have a copy of the Quad
performance at the Nissan Pavilion in VA?? CD?? Anything??

Crawling back under my rock ...

Corkface