Re: Who's Worst

>I was thinking of asking for this dor christmas. What
>kind of cool stuff is on it??? Is it a must have?? I
>know it says re-mixed songs...how are they
>different???

Jon:

Just get it. It has several songs found nowhere else, and the remixes are
often different than the ones on the individual albums (but usually not as
good). You won't regret it.

>Any thoughts on the Maryville benefit?

Cory:

I think it's a good performance, but not as good as the video/laserdisc
Brooklyn Academy of Music for the PSYCHODERELICT tour. And then there's the
drum machine...don't get me started. Keith must be spinning in his grave.

>Damn Talmy for not letting them remaster "Sings My Generation"! Or does he
just
>want too much money for it?

Lukas:

Yeah, that too. I have heard different reports, but the most repeated is
that he feels The Who sold as well as The Beatles, and they've been holding
out on his royalties (which he doesn't deserve anyway). Ridiculous. He also
wants to do the remix himself, and understandably MCA/Polydor aren't too
keen. If he was smart he'd remix it so they'd have an idea what it might
sound like, but...
It has also been said MCA agreed to Talmy's price but Polydor said No. I
think this is all a bunch of BS, considering the value of this album is
going to decrease at some point (but maybe not as fast as I expected, since
they're back together).

>You have to like Boris The Spider and Whiskey Man!

You're right; I wasn't thinking of Entwistle songs, for some reason.

>Leeds" are the best things they ever did. Our Love Was is a great song,
IMO.

That's why we're all here, after all, to state our opinions.

>I haven't heard this one. The live versions I've heard are all great,
though.

Part of this is bitterness because they didn't use the GOOD studio version,
which was released on THE HOUSE THAT TRACK BUILT but never on CD. The studio
YMB included on the remixed O&S is considerably slower, and the vocals seem
to drag. It has been suggested Daltry was attempting to sound like an old
black man (although this is his single attempt), and also that the song had
been slowed down to allow the addition of some guitar effects and just never
sped back up...but no matter what the reason, it bites compared to the other
studio version.

>though... (waAaAteer! WATER! whoaaaa... etc) They don't really get the
>"harmonies" right... sounds a bit drunk... (I mean the "Isle Of Wight"
version
>now)

IMHO the best live version is from Tanglewood, which is on the videotape 30
Years Of R&B, and there they get the harmony right.

>should I get "Sings My Generation" or "Quadrophenia" first?

I'd say QUAD, simply because it's more like the others you have (not to
mention it's their best album)...but MG is definitely one of their classics.
It might take you a while to get used to the "retro" sound (but modern
then), but once you do that I think you'll find this album is the closest to
their live sound.

> And why don't they remaster "Kids Are Alright"?

I don't know, but it IS still available via The Who direct. Although it
still doesn't include the MG/Roadrunner medley.

>Little Billy
>Bell Boy

I love LB! And QUAD had nothing but great songs, IMHO.

>Squeeze Box (I really HATE this one!)

OK, for me this is another love/hate song.

>and I'm a Who fan.  Have been ever since the very first time I heard
>Quadraphenia.  Before then, I listened to the Who, but I wasn't a fan.
Quad
>put me on the fanatic side; I could see the film to go with the music in my
>head; I will always treasure that afternoon for all the joy that it brought
>forward into my life.

Felicia:

The first listening to QUAD had a similar effect on me; when it ended I felt
it was the greatest piece of Rock music I'd ever heard and time has not
altered that opinion. I am surprised it brought someone into fandom (as it's
not the easiest album to penetrate), so you must be unusually perseptive.

Here's to Black Friday! Hope I survive!

                                                    Cheers
ML