Re: Who's Worst

Now I'd like to take a moment to comment on Who's Worst:

>personally the one I despise is Happy Jack...

I have a love/hate thing going with this song. I'll agree with you The Who
were never a great Pop band.

>>1. Someone's Coming

Not one of my favorites.

>>2. Here for More
>>3. Postcard
>>4. Why Did I Fall for That

I disagree with all of these.

>>5. Waspman

But agree with this one, completely. Keith, I love ya but...

>>6. Welcome
>>7. Dogs

Not the best but IMHO not the worst, either. Why didn't anyone include Don't
Look Away or See My Way? I would have.

>>8. They're All in Love

Yeah, almost as bad as the Zep rip-off of it: All My Love.

>>9. Jeckyll & Hyde

I also like this one. Especially the opening.

>>10. Barbara Anne
>>11. Heatwave

I wouldn't count the ones they didn't write.

>1. I Don't Mind (Roger - just stop it - please. You're 19 for God's sake!

Yeah, but he does a Hell of a James Brown for a 19 year-old! I like this
one, and Please Please Please too. And what a coincidence; James Brown is
being interviewed on Stern as I write this (best of Stern, of course).

>2. Much Too Much (the title says it all)

IMHO there's not a clinker on the MG album...the best debut album of a
British Invasion band.

>3. I Need You (thanks - but no thanks)
>4. Doctor, Doctor (nurse - the screens)

Again, not the best but not the worst.

>5. Bucket T (it's a bucket alright)

Oh yeah? Try the Jan & Dean version! THIS one is much better. Love the horn
solo.

>6. I've Been Away (and all you could bring back was this lousy song)

Alright, good joke but the song isn't THAT bad!

>7. Love Is Coming Down (mind the mess - mock operatics ahoy)
>8. Did You Steal My Money? (no -just your lyrical ability, if this can of
>pilchards is owt to go by - "female footfall/trainer football" -
>yikesssss...)

No argument here.

>9. Athena ("she's a bomb" - shame she didn't go off earlier then)

But this one is too catchy to include.

>10. It's Your Turn (for the song royalties)

You don't like Entwistle songs, do you?

>11. Cook's County ("Dukes of Hazzard"/"Blues Brothers" ahoy

NO! This is an orginal sound and would have been great live.

>12. It's Hard (to listen to)

Just be glad he didn't leave it as "I just want to be popular..."

>13. One At A Time (just form a queue - oh, where have you all gone???)

Another Entwistle.

>14. Why Did I Fall For That? (aka another load of old tat from their most
>God-awful album EVER)

Haven't you heard A QUICK ONE or FACE DANCES?

>1.It's Not True
><<Kinda dumb lyrically, i.e. "I'm not half-Chinese either and I didn't kill
my dad"

Humor, it's humor! It blows away songs like Ask Me Why (Beatles), Little By
Little (Stones), and I'm A Lover Not A Fighter (Kinks).

>4. Sensation
><<I almost put this on there>>

How can you not like a song which has the lyric: "Mesmerised by just the
sight..."?

>11. Did You Steal My Money
><<How can you dislike lyrics like "I thought I heard a female footfall
while I washed my kitchen

Because it sucks? That would be my reason...

>12. How Can You Do It Alone
><<I like this one too. It's different yes

And you think "I'm not half-Chinese either" is a bad lyric?

>A couple of these are on my list of Who's Best.  We'll never agree on this
>album.

I agree with THAT!

>1. In the City
>
>This is an absolute stinker.

I have to disagree. I think Keith captured the Surf feel very well ("The
kids are hip and you can dance all night"). Keep in mind that this was his
intent, not to write like Pete Townshend. Keith was a huge Surf fan, and
having been around during that particular period I feel he did a great job,
especially considering some songs by others which were actually hits!

>2. Here For More ("The man knocks you down on the floor")

Roger has never been the best songwriter, but he's done worse than this. At
least he was spiritual for a moment (inspired by Pete, no doubt).

>3. The Seeker ("I've looked under chairs, I've looked under tables")

Strongly disagree with this one.

>4. I've Been Away ("It wasn't me, it was my brother Bill")

Entwistle is sure getting slammed today!

>5. Love is Coming Down (this one just drags... and drags... and rips of
>Quad...)
>6. Don't Look Away (followed by its natural partner in sucking,)
>7. See My Way (da-da, da-da, da-da, da-da, da-da da-da my way)

We agree completely here.

>8. Rael (I second the motion.

No, I think this is one of their best.

>Wait a minute, scratch all that.  I vote for "everything on Who's Last".

Certainly their worst album!

>Somehow "He's a Pokemon wizard..." just doesn't have the same ring to =
>it....

I don't know...it has a 90's feel to it...maybe Britney Spears will lipsync
it at her next concert...

>I would, but I'm afraid I only have a poor e-mail account, at home anyway.

Ilya:

Yeah, well...I THOUGHT my partner would have the CDs listed by now...sorry!
Working on it. I DO have some Who at my store, most notably TOMMY in both
the single disc remixed version and the two disc original mix, and the
soundtrack of the movie, as well as the highlights disc from the play (with
I Can See With My Own Eyes), and the old ODDS AND SODS (the only place to
get the full-length version of I'm The Face) and MY GENERATION The Best Of.
Also CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE MOVIE by Daltrey and the dialogue version of
PSYCHODERELICT. I think that's all. If anyone wants them, just Email.

>By the way, I didn't hear anything of "Teenage Whisper", my favourite WHO
>song... What album, what year, who wrote that wonder???? Does anybody know?

Do you mean Teenage Wasteland, by chance? That's part of Baba O'Riley from
WHO'S NEXT, although there is a listing for the Lifehouse boxed set for a
song of that title.

>>Cobwebs and Strange

I might include this one myself.

>>Medac

Hey, what is it...one minute long? You can stand it!

>>Now I'm a Farmer

No, I like this one. They did pay farmers not to farm and dump food in the
70's. This song is a chunk of history.

>>Daily Records

I love this one..."I just don't quite know how to wear my hair no more/Each
time I cut it, then they cut it even more..." It was tough not being young
in the 80's.

>>Cook's County

WHY does everyone hate this song???

>>One Life's Enough

And this song is too much.

>>Wow, thanx for saying that, I would really like it to be true.
Unfortunatly
>>this country called Romania hasn't heard of The Who! It's outrageous
>>really.

I feel your pain. It was pretty much the same here in South Carolina, when I
was a lad. But I hung in there and things changed. Now we've had two
Whofests here.

And now, MY list for Who's Worst...disagreements welcomed:

Bald Headed Woman (even worse than the Kinks version...damn Shel Talmy, damn
him to Hell!)
All of AQO excecpt the title track, Run Run Run and So Sad About Us
I Can't Reach You (pretty weak, and Our Love Was barely missed this list)
Young Man Blues (new O&S remixed version...aka Who's On Downers)
Cousin Kevin Model Child (gee, I wonder why they left it off of TOMMY)
We Close Tonight (nice try, but....)
Wasp Man (too much of not enough)
Imagine A Man (I'm trying to imagine drum and bass)
New Song (but not Good Song)
Love Is Coming Down (trying WAY too hard to be "artistic")
Did You Steal My Money & How Can You Do It Alone (even *I* can do better
than this!)
They're All In Love (but not with this song)
Another Tricky Day (Disco Who? I think not)
One Life's Enough (same comment as for Imagine A Man)
ALL of WHO'S LAST

Happy Thanksgiving!

                 Cheers                                                ML