Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #277

It strikes me that there are some universal truths running through all of the
comments in this newsletter:  1) Once you see the Who or Townshend live, you
are a fan.  2) Their musical energy in performance is unsurpassed, even
today.  To wit:

I took my wife to see Pete at the HOB (Chicago) in 1997 for his first solo
performance for Maryville Academy.  She wasn't a fan.  (I'd seen the Who
about 10 times).  He played for  2 hours, 40 minutes.  He played most of the
"hits."  He also played his mother's favorite song, Gershwin's "Embraceable
you."  His "Magic Bus" from the second disc on the recent CD captures his
spirit that night.  My wife then couldn't wait for the "Quadrophenia" show 6
weeks later.

I took 15 other friends, most of whom had not seen the Who, or were
interested in their  music.  They are all fans now, and bought at least two
of their CD's after the show.  With all this activity for the band, I'm
hoping they release the Chicago HOB tape, so all of us fanatics can alternate
between "Kids are Alright," "Isle of Wight," "30 Years," and the HOB tape.