The color of Tales

> To those of you you have the album: What color is the vinyl?  In my
> copy, each record is clear, one with a blue tint, the other red.

Mike:

Mine are both black vinyl, with no pics or lettering on the center label.
Apart from a previous owner penciling in (lightly) "Side 1, Side 2" on
each.

> Hmm... are there multiple versions of this boot with different sound
> qualities?  I seem to recall having heard the boot and not being
> impressed with the sound at all.

Phil:

I have only listened to a small portion, but apart from the crackling it
sounds as good as the radio broadcast (as far as I can tell). It is listed
on the cover as being in quadraphonic, and the book Bootleg confirms this
in that the original maker of the bootleg talks about how he was amazed
that bootlegs could be as sonically advanced as the regular releases of the
time. Of course, I don't have the proper cartridge or amplifier to find out
if it is indeed in quad, nor have I any idea where to find such a cartridge
at this late date...although I could possibly find such a receiver
somewhere used. But in any case, the mix was always poor (IMHO) on this
broadcast. The guitar sounds thin and the chord changes aren't always
apparent...nothing at all like LAL. The drums sound "poppy" (I guess you'd
say) too, instead of powerful. We must blame King Biscuit for this, I
suppose.
I'm not even sure if this has all or what part of the radio show songs
(that is to say, if it has I'm One and so on) are on it....which means I
will have to listen to it at some point, I guess.

> Pete with those white slacks, Roger with that tan, fringy outfit, & OX
with his......
> well, with his OX suits.  Moon was the only one who dressed cool & he
looked
> like a gas station attendant !

Scott:

Well, after all it was Pete who wrote: "I just don't quite know how to wear
my hair no more/No sooner cut it then they cut it even more..."

       Cheers                  ML

If you own a CD player, you need to check out our website:

http://www.generations.theshoppe.com/