Re: psychoderelict

> From: Kentthe1@aol.com
> Subject: psychoderelict
>
> Hello Whoheads,
> I recently purchased the music only version of Psychoderelict and I am amazed.
> Why the hell didn't he just release it like this? It is a zillion times
> better.

I would have to disagree.  When listening alone, I far prefer the
radio-play version to the music-only version.  On the other hand,
when on a cross-country road trip with the family, I'll listen to
the music-only version -- mostly because the story is a little too
mature for the kids.

> Does anybody know the story behind this release? I mean, some of the songs
> are completely different. Was this the finished version before dialogue was
> added?

I don't.

> What it represents to me is yet another <what could have been> in the career
> of the Who/Pete Townshend.

I suppose if the music-only version had been more heavily promoted
than the standard version the album may have sold in greater quantities,
but that's not how I judge Pete's career (assuming I have that right).
One of the reason's I love Pete's work is that he's willing to experiment
with the media in which he works.  As it happens I enjoy not just the
music, but contemplating the message, and also thinking about the means
used to convey the message.  Therefore I judge Pete to be worthy of
my money, and that I do have the right to judge.

	Bill

/* Bill Sherman  (wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu)                                */
/* National Center for Supercomputing Applications                       */
/* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                            */
/*     Og - "You want to do mankind a real service?  Tell funnier jokes" */
/*  Spinner - "but facts don't always reveal the truth"                  */
/*      Robin - "Yeah, but I always figure that's the writers' fault"    */