Re: Multi-tours & An oldie but a goodie discussion

>>Ultimately, of course, this approach helped kill the band since, except
>>for their albums, they stopped taking chances.  Believe it or not, The Who
>>are often a very insecure band.

The problem with taking chances is that you can lose a bundle.  It's fine
when you don't have anything.  They do still seem to have these fits,
though.  The Quad tour was a nice one.  And didn't Pete seem to have fun?

> >That would mean that new music isn't selling--just the tried and true.
>
>Partly, because for $18 you don't want one or two good songs and a bunch of
>garbage. Another reason is Rock music has been done to death. There's
>nothing new. "It's over, Johnny."

I think the study included all of popular music, not just rock--which makes
it even scarier for the establishment.

>I didn't see but heard about this. Petty's new album is very good, BTW.
>IMHO the title track is the best. Hey, he's trying to buck the system. The
>system's going to fight back. The solution: he gets out of his contract and
>markets the music himself.

Hard to get out of his contract.  Expensive legal hassle, and etc.

>>That's expected to be the replacement tech for cds, isn't it?
>
>It could be, but my reasoning is that DVDs are as yet uncopyable (is this a
>word?) and IMHO the potential for trade is even more likely than with
>music...how many times do you watch a movie as opposed to listen to a CD?
>And Mall prices being what they are, the CDs and DVDs are very close to the
>same price. And people DO trade CDs, every day.
>Oh, and the fact that I have a DVD player might be a factor...it just
>might...

Huh?

>>you like.  Most people just give up and buy something they're sure of.
>>Fragmentation of the market?
>
>There's a definite fragmention of the market. Then again, sometimes people
>buy Rap and New Rock at the same time.

That's not unusual.  Lots of people have broad taste.

>At the same time, we get this very short-lived trends...

Yeah, and they clutter up the air waves and the cd shelves until you can't
find what you want.  What I mean is that there's just so much music
available these days, so many different styles and groups that it's hard to
locate what you like, and when you do find somebody who does it for you,
they're likely to be crowded out by next month's trend--one cd is all you
get.  It's hard for artists to build up any kind of following this way.  So
in this kind of market, bands that already have a body of music built up
suddenly have an advantage.

> >I'm surprised that the Internet didn't show up better.  Seems like
> >most of what I've bought in the last year is obscure special order
> >stuff that's not on the shelf locally at all.
>
>I think despite the growing number of people online, it's still a small
>percentage of the market. Too, people like to see and handle something
>theybuy, not wait. I'd bet if they could have a CD right away, the majority
>would be willing to pay up to $2 more for it.

If it's going to be a special order, might as well get it over the internet
as wait for the record store to hem and haw and say they can't get it.  You
can find some really great stuff through artist cooperatives and such--like
when you hear the band and then go and look for their cd.

>You're right. Then again, I find the idea of a Mall store rather
>boring...except for the new releases, they have the same old stuff all of
>the time. My store changes a bit every day. It's a new store every week.
>Support your local used CD store. End of commercial.

Wish we had one locally.

keets