Re: Brilliant Blues/After The Fire

ML wrote:
> That's why he mentions "the sound of a Brixton gun," and Brixton is no
> where near Africa.

I assumed he was writing about the Brixton riots.  CF: The Clash's "Guns Of
Brixton"

Pete's main theme at that time was the idea of English rock stars as the
equivalent of World War II soldiers.  It sounds to me like a "home from the
wars, what do you do with me now?" song.  However, Pete has said several times
that the song was about apartheid (which also crops up in "I Am Secure").  I
really have no idea what he means by that except in some really universal "we're
all living under apartheid" meaning.

> What about "There's a stone in my shoe/So I can't catch you up/My head's in
> a lion's mouth/Wants to eat me up..."
>
> I cringe even writing it.

How about a "worst Pete lyric" thread?
Two that twinge the grammarian in me is "All at once a tall stranger I suddenly
see" (from the Department of Redundancy Department) and "I was asked to see what
I could really learn you" from "Relay."

		-Brian in Atlanta