Re: Solo Pete

Bill wrote:

> Unlike with Chinese Eyes and Empty Glass, there seems to be a lot of
>disagreement
> about WC, doesn't there?

And Mark replied:

Maybe among critics. EG is so blantantly commercial that I can't imagine a
Who fan who thinks it superior to the more intellectual WC, or ATBCHCE for
that matter.

And I say:

Imagine it. I've been a Who fan for about 24 years. I think EG is Pete's
best solo album (followed by Psychoderelict (Music Only)), superior to WC,
and easily superior to Chinese Eyes. Although I don't dismiss the whole
album as Dave Marsh does ("Almost sounds like he's learned to completely
stop enjoying himself." (quoted by Bill)), songs like "The Sea Refuses No
River," "Somebody Saved Me," and "Slit Skirts" help make Marsh's point.
"Sea Refuses," like a river, drags on too long. "Somebody Saved Me" and
"Slit Skirts" both suffer from a self-importance exemplified by cramming
too many syllables in a line. I can't tell if Pete is trying too hard or
not hard enough. The experimental "Stop Hurting People" and
"Communication," while mildly interesting, belong on Scoop albums. The
songs that I like --"Face Dances Part Two," "Stardom In Acton," and
"Uniforms"- ought to be average tracks on a better Townshend album, instead
of standing out in comparison to the weightier songs previously mentioned.

On the other hand I like WC a lot. Yet it still doesn't surpass EG. EG is
one of those "desert island" albums. I don't know why great music that
sells successfully has to be slammed as "blantantly commercial." "Rough
Boys," (top ten hit) "Let My Love Open The Door," "A Little Is Enough," and
"Gonna Get Ya" all have the energy and excitement to make this Pete's
finest (solo) hour, even better than some Who albums. "Empty Glass" shows
that Pete can say "My life's a mess" without setting to inferior music,
which is what he does on Chinese Eyes.

Obviously this is all MHO, based on living with this music for over17
years. I'm not saying Chinese Eyes sucks, just that some of his other work
is much better. Maybe later we can discuss why Parting Should Be Painless
is better than Under A Raging Moon.

Jim

"During my service in the United States Senate, I took the initiative in
creating the Internet."
   -- Al Gore