Emma Townshend/Bob&Jake Dylan

Jessi:

>You know, I bet that if Emma Townshend could have a big commercial =
>success, that The Who would come back "in fasion" so to speak.

  Don't hold your breath. Emma's music seems designed to be as
anti-commercial and overly artsy as possible. Not that that is bad, i
respect the fact that she does exactly what she likes and isn't trying to
pander to radio programmer's ideas of what people want to hear. However, its
a pretty tough album to love. And, in my opinion, she won't be "breaking
through".

> Look at =
>what Jakob Dylan did to revive his father's carreer.  I for one know =
>many people who had never heard of Bob Dylan, much less just ignored =
>him, before the Wallflowers came along.  Now, they know every thing =
>about Dylan and have started stealing their parents old records of him.

  i find this unintentionally hilarious, no offense. i remember Bob Dylan
"coming back" into "fashion" with almost every album he put out recently...
when "Infidels" came out in the early eighties, he was "back"! When "Empire
Burlesque" got MTV airplay and Dave Stewart produced a new sound for him,
his career was "revived" (only a few years later). When "Under The Red Sky"
came out, the guests on it "seemed to enliven" Dylan "in a way he hasn't
been alive since the early 70s" was the critics take, and it was up for a
couple grammies (although admittedly the sales were mediocre). "Oh Mercy"
won a grammy and sold very well. "Good As I Been To You", just a bunch of
folk song covers, won best folk recording that year and sold moderately and
critics (of course) adored it. "Time Out of Mind" comes out and wins several
grammies, sells incredibly well, and all that... and he's "back". And the
recent release "Royal Albert Hall" is such a legendary event in rock
history, you can bet it would've sold well whenever they had put it out.
   My point is: i have never understood the comeback thing in regards to
Dylan. He never really goes away, rarely has a complete failure (hasn't
since, say, early eighties) and yet whenever something new comes out
everyone is saying how he's BACK! i don't get it. And i REALLY don't think
Jakob has anything to do with it, although it's cool some young people look
to Jakob's father because of his success. i think Bob's near-death
experience shortly before "Time Out of Mind" assured people would care about
it's release as much as the fact he was Jakob's dad.
   Just an observation. Let's get back to WHO talk now.
      peace&anarchy, jeffree