Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #76

In a message dated 3/24/99 11:50:51 PM, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

<< Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:58:36 PST
From: "Carl Gilbertsen" <strangebrew@excite.com>
Subject: Who Fest in IL

A good place for Whofest would be SIU-Edwardsville, in honor of the
mini-woodstock that the boys had back in '6(7?). Or maybe right here in
Champaign. Who knows?
Carl

I second that...since I first met them while I was attending SIU!!! If not
there, then St. Louis or Kansas City would be good.
Travels Part 11
After the Memphis show I was asked to go with them to New Orleans.  That was
really cool because  a Dixieland jazz band was there to greet them as we got
off the plane.  They followed us as we exited the plane to the limo..t I think
that everyone was a little embarrassed by it though.  We stayed a hotel right
in the French Quarter and they were going to play two nights at the Warehouse.
To Be Continued.....
I wanted to also say that trying to compare The Beatles work (not just
Paul...cause it's my opinion that without the rest of the group..his work was
substandard and I also feel that Pete's solo work isn't as good as The Who's)
with The Who is like saying Picasso was better than Michaelangelo...I mean
both groups are worthy of being called the best that ever was......I've always
been more attracted to the Beatles songs that Lennon wrote because he was more
philosophical with his lyrics than Paul's...but what I was trying to say in my
earlier post was that The Beatles had three styles of songs in their albums
where as The Who's music was mostly Pete's style....so The Beatles albums were
more versatile.  Also, I'm not embarrassed to say that I enjoy listening to
Yesterday, Maybe I'm Amazed, Hey Jude,El Rigby, The Long and Winding Road.  I
enjoy and appreciate artists that painted realistically as well as
abstractly...I think it is ignorant to say that one is better than the
other...so why compare Pete with Paul?