Re: Conceptual Wrestlemania!!!

>If, for example, "Pure and Easy" had appeared on Who's Next, the
recurring theme (in "The Song Is Over") might've made it more cohesive a
staement. Instead we have no recurring melodies, several disparate
subject matter, and a bunch of songs that seem like seperate songs
instead of part of a story. i know it's a fine line, but
that's my opinon. How do you guys feel on this?

I agree.  No concept the way it's presented.

even in the same ballpark as McCartney's.

>You may think that's unfair, but in alot of ways this song was Paul's
philosophy on songwriting. Pete's was about the spiritual inner self
searching for God and the true Self. Do they even friggin' compare?!?!?
And if Paul was more successful in his goals, maybe its because he aimed
so much lower. And i LIKE his music, fer crying out loud! But he's
nowhere near Pete, D.

I agree here, as well.  I think The Who's music transcended the rock
genre early on because of the complexity of the ideas and of the music.

>>> I think even the most diehard Pete fan
>>> would have to concede that only Empty Glass was on a level of
acceptance...

>And i think a majority of us here would agree that "Chinese Eyes" was
>Pete's best. i've heard that sentiment reflected many times here.

Uh.  Disagree, disagree.  I think "Chinese Eyes" looks back, not forward
as "Empty Glass" does.  I don't hear Mark's beloved progression so
strongly in "Chinese Eyes."

>>> Who has he copied?  Do you think PT is imitating jazz?
>
>Barney Kessel, for one. Mose Allison for another. Not just songs, but
>style. That's what i think he was going for on "Who Are You", in a few
songs anyway, a blending of their styles with his own rock style. i, for
one, thought it was beautiful.

Is a blending of styles imitation, though?  I don't think so.  Nobody
composes out of nowhere--creativity is a synthesis of different ideas
and influences.

keets