Who, ELP & Techno

L. Bird wrote:

> You think ELP and Depeche Mode sound similar?  Wow.

> In any case, I didn't say The Who was solely responsible for the
> techno movement, only that WAY was tending in that direction and might > have had an influence.  Pink Floyd would be on my list, too, and
> Walter/Wendy Carlos (bigtime).

I just can't see a relation between ELP and techno music aside from the
use of synthesizers. The song structures used by ELP where totally
different from the ones used in techno. Emerson actually PLAYED the
keyboards, while techno uses pre-programmed loops. And if we think about
what The Who was doing, it's more similar to techno (although not too
much, thanks god), because they used pre-programmed loops. No solos with
arpeggios, harmonies and counterpoints, just loops. Even Baba O'Riley,
not on WAY, is that way. Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream would be more
similar to techno in some records, but definetely not ELP (as I said,
the only similar thing I see is the use of synthesizers).